C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My tailgate release switch has packed in, only opens using the release on the remote now rather than just unlocking with all the doors as usual.

Ford quoted me £58 to replace which seems a tad excessive. I've had a look on Ebay and the fordpartsuk site and the part seems to be around £27.

For those that have had a similar problem, can this be picked up any cheaper from any other sites I'm not aware of? I've tried drying it out but no joy, it was really clogged up with what looked like limescale so I've cleaned it too but still no good.

Many thanks

James

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This was posted in the newbies section HERE

TGL said:
...- Recently (after 50K miles) theelectronic bootbutton failed. I'm a DIY bod, so I just took it apart and replaced themicroswitchfor 2 pounds from Maplin. Basically it hadcorroded due to damp/moisture. I hearyou canget the fullboot button assemly partfrom Fords at acost closer to 35 pounds.

Hopefully that might help.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Of those of you who've taken the tailgate switch apart did you come across any mechanical connection of any sort to the key barell / operating link

Our key now turns the barellbut doesn't open the hatch like it did though the electric options all work. I don't want to take the trim panel off if it's unlikely that I can fix anything
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Gepard
Many thanks
Have just had the inner liner off the tailgate. When you know how it is rather too easy to do

The "c" shape holder for the end of the bowden cable had partially broken but a deftly placed cable tie and a slight straighten of the cable and it all works again which is great as I have to use the non remote key

·
Registered
6 Posts
its not the switch itself, its the wires connected to the switch.

I did manage to open the tailgate switch. Soldering new wires from the tiny microswitch fixed the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My switch has given up now. I popped off the plastic trim from inside the hatch and couldnt see much that was relevant, only acouple of wires running through a hole into the tailgate handle area. I could ease the rubber gromment out of the hole but not enough space to see any microswitch.
Do I need to remove the outer rubber to get at this microswitch?
Any other tips gratefully received!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unplug wires from the handle area. Remove the handle outside hatch. You can now dismantle the switch-mecanism. Remove rubber cover then you can see innside. The microswitch is also moldet into some rubberstuff on the back side. Peel of rubberstuff and you might see the wirecores are green and worn off. Push the microswitch from outside and inn. Clean an solder on new wires. Put microswitch back into handle and replace the rubberstuff to protect soldered wires. You can use epoxy or silicone.

peeewww
sorry about my english. I should have paid more attention to the english class...Greeteings from Tromsø, Norway.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Well
I now join the list of those who've had the tailgate microswitch fail
two questions please
Is the water / damp that has caused the switch to fail likely to affect either the remote or unlocking with the key

Are there any serious nasties to be wary of when taking the external handle off the tailgate to replace the microswitch unit

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts