C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi does anybody know if smoke from oil filler cap on 2.0tdci ghia is normal, oil just changed and car serviced. Fords have said i don't think you have anything to worry about.
can anyone advise? thanks
colin

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Does this happen when you have had the engine running for a while? Also what colour is the smoke & what does it smell of?
There is usually a little wiff of smoke/steam that comes out if the engine has been running for a while & is hot,say if you have been driving for at least 10 mins,then take the cap off.It should smell of hot oil and not anything else.
MM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi does'nt look like steam, whitish grey
it happens when the engine has stopped and cap removed, left car for 3 hours after 30min drive and still a little smoke
thanks

colin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi thanks for replying, car was used for 30mins and checked 3 hours latern engine stopped and filler cap off still whitish grey smoke don't think its steam, not had this on a petrol car before, this is my first diesel
thanks

ps smells ok

colin

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I know this may be a daft questuion but have you checked the oil level?
It may well be that the level is low,causing the oil that`s there to over heat,also did you put the correct grade oil in when you changed it?If it was too thin in viscosity this may be the cause.
MM

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I would suggest that there is some blockage in the crankcase breather pipework or in the pipe work that allows crankcase oil fumes to be sucked back into the inlet tract

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
this comes from the TIS disc but I don't know where the hose is on the actual engine

Remove the positive crankcase ventilation hose.
2Inspect the PCV hose for blockage.
lIs the PCV hose free from blockage?
Yes
CLEAN the PCV oil separator or INSTALL a new intake manifold as necessary. Test the system for normal operation.

No
CLEAN or INSTALL a new PCV hose as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hi all,
Nothing to worry about, all is normal.
This is called Blowby mist, Basically, where oil is subjected to high temps and alot of crankcase air movement you getan oil mist, which is more often than not fed straight into Inlet before the Turbo.
I work within Engine testing for Ford, we have a glass catch jar in this circuit and measure said Blowby, it helps determine Engine health ( if rings have had it or engine not bedded in, Blowby increases ).
When at full throttle at say anything above 2500 Rpm you cannot see through the Catch jar for the mist.
It usually does take a few hours to clear, dont worry!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The mention of full throttle on a dyno takes me back (25 years about)to the time of a federal spec 4.2l Jag XK engine wide open at 4500 RPM and the whole of the exhaust glowing bright red

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Was that the old XJ straight six whose name escapes me? Lovely engine, more English than roast dinner!
Not trying to out do you but....
Focus RS engine fitted with full vehicle exhaust which is fully lagged Cat backwards singing at 6500Rpm and the whole thing glowing a deep orange ( except turbo which is bright yellow! ), you can see the Catalyst bricks.
Currently working on a naturally aspirated 3 Cyl 1.0L petrol, variable Cams, direct injection and a whopping great torque wave of..... 100Nm...... not quite the same, sounds more like a sewing machine, but it cant do a cross stitch ( yet! )

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
kevmond said:
Hi all,
Nothing to worry about, all is normal.
This is called Blowby mist, Basically, where oil is subjected to high temps and alot of crankcase air movement you getan oil mist, which is more often than not fed straight into Inlet before the Turbo.
I work within Engine testing for Ford, we have a glass catch jar in this circuit and measure said Blowby, it helps determine Engine health ( if rings have had it or engine not bedded in, Blowby increases ).
When at full throttle at say anything above 2500 Rpm you cannot see through the Catch jar for the mist.
It usually does take a few hours to clear, dont worry!!!!

What a wonderful and easy to understand post. Another bit of knowledge in the old brain tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.