C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now a C-Max newbie. I wanted auto transmission and a real driver's car. My wife wanted a high driving position and a big boot that she could squeeze into a smallish parking place. We came close to buying a diesel Zafira when I started reading all the stories on the internet about the Vauxhall diesel problems. Then when we were looking at the C-Max I saw horror stories about the Ford diesels as well, so I was led to the 2.0 Auto Petrol Zetec with parking sensors. My new car will be delivered in a week or so. It seems like it will be a great car, but I have two worries: will the fuel consumption bankrupt me; and will I soon be pining for my old reliable Toyota when the minor problems start to mount up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried the Zafira, its bigger but less of a drive than my '04 1.6tdci Ghia. No comparison, cmax all the way, better ride, more responsive nicer 'feel',quieter. Can't speak for the petrol consumption, but I have previously run a 2.0 zetec old focus hatch and averaged 40mpg per tank with a fair amount of motorway, think you'll probably get similar. My wife loves the reverse park sensors (first time we've had them). I've had a good experience overall, egr valve stuff very occasionaly, but I'm getting that sorted. Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, Whaler is right, the Cmax is a much better car to drive than either the Zafira or the Avensis Verso, let alone the Minerva. I have the 1.6 petrol and get 40mpg plus on m'ways and about 33mpg in town. I have a very heavy right foot, so my mpg in less than normal. Also remember that the Cmax itself is heavier than the normal focus, so the two models are not really compatible. You will also get slightly less mpg with an automatic. I have only had the car for 6 months - it's a 54 plate - so I can't comment on reliability. But I've had no problems so far. I think the petrol duratec engines are pretty reliable by reputation. Finally, don't rely on the petrol guage [either the digital or the analogue one] as both are unreliable as a means to calculate mpg. Do a few brim-tests when you fill-up and calculate your mpg that way to get a correct figure. Hope you both enjoy your new motor.
Edited by: romseyraver

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 2.0 TDCi Zetec Cmax and its a fantastic drive! its extremely quick. the torque is incredible, and fuel consumption is very good. Round town i get between 49-55mpg and on the motorway i dont go below 60mpg (and i dont hang around). When i first bought the car, i took a trip from Essex to Stafford with 4 passangers and a fully loaded boot, and i achieved 73.2mpg!!

Although mine is a manual so with Auto expect a little less, which should still be fantastic!!

I agree with the other comments, the ride is really really good, i dont get any roll around corners. its a pleasurable drive.

Good Luck with yours!!

Matt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Bob,
Mines a 2 litre PETROL and to honest the fuel consumption purely town driving, plenty of stop starts and short trips and the car is averaging about 28mpg.

When it is driven up and down the motorway regularly I have had as much as 36.5mpg, so no where near as good as the diesel, but its quiet, smooth and just and all round nice car to own and drive, and for me much more flexibility that any Zafira......

I had an old shape Zafira 2.0DTI and although in the early days of owning it the car returned good ecomony, it was never a 'fun' car to drive and the year I traded it in (got £4000)I had paid out the best part of £1500 as new discs and pads all round and a major service had to be done andan 'internal' seal in the engine split and meant half the engine had to be taken out.

Low and behold the part cost me only £80, but thegaragethen added almost £700 labour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I've had the car for a week I can give some first impressions:
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
- love the design, inside and out, and the space
- ride is good, though fair amount of road noise on motorway
- eager for an automatic, but a bit gutless in the 50-70mph acceleration
- mpg in town sub-20 at the moment
- but got 38mpg on long trip

- disappointed with seats – uncomfortable and poor thigh support
- some problems with alarm going off for no reason
- but generally build quality seems good

I really wish Ford had not decided to fit privacy glass to the Zetec; the Titanium glass is much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts