C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ya,

I have a 54 reg 2.0TDI Cmax and we are changing the back brake pads.

We have the wind back tool and apart from stuggling to get the nuts off, seems to be going well!.

My only concern is the new pads we have had delivered do not have two bits sticking out on the back, they are flat (I don't know the technical term, but the old ones have two short pin bits sticking out on the back)

Has anyone else had this? Does it make a difference? Does anyone understand what I mean?

HELP!!!!

Any comments would be appreciated for this new user!!!!!

Thanks in advance..... Laura

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Laura,
I've moved your post to the right area and removed a repeat post as it keeps things neat and tidy.
I know your in a pickle and I've yet to my rear pads but I'll see if there are any piccies around to see what the pads are like.
I'm sure someone who has done it will be along shortly...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, I would rather we try to sort it out as I have been quoted a ridiculous price!

Also whenever I go to the garage, I get looked at like a stupid girl and subsequently get ripped off!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

These are the ones I have bought, the ones we took off had the two bits sticking out on the back, although they don't seem to be for anything?????

The ones we have should be fine then...... Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Laura
To which nuts are you refering please and we'll see if we can help
As to the bits out of the back of the pads you took off. Was it only on one of each wheel set and look something like this
http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d6441.html
If so the purpose of this is that the spring effect keeps the pad that is in contact with the caliper piston firmly against the fitting and doesn't allow it to move when the brakes are applied

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a very annoying rattle sound going over anything but the smoothest of roads. It only ever went away under braking. Four different garages could not fing the cause. Eventually took it to main dealer and they said the rattle was due to non-genuine ford rear brake pads which did not have the spring mechanism. They were effectively rattling about in the brake caliper.

Prior to that, at my last MOT and I had to get new front pads and discs. As soon as they were replaced, they started squeling under braking but had never done so before. I'm can only assume genuine ford pads came off and non-genuine went back on. I would advise getting genuine pads with the correct pin/spring mechanisms.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
certain of the non ford parts have the retaining springs
the link I posted above gives both with and without

I have non ford pads on the front (EBC) and they don't appear to squeal YET!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Richard,
Re: replacing rear brake pads;
the nearside pads ( with spring assembly)re-assembled relatively easily, the offside piston however, refuses to wind back into the caliper despite turning under pressure. I tried releasing possible pressure at the bleed valve... I must be missing something,
Any clues?
Don Chester.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Try turning it anti clockwise, mk 3 mondeos had rear calipers that wound back different directions.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
No they are both wound clockwise
I suspect rust/ road dirt/brake dust has caused an interference fit You might like to try warming the caliper housing/ piston assembly gently with something gentle like a hair dryer to get some extra space and perhaps a slight smear of oil / brake fluid (with a cotton bud) at the same joint line

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for that; I'll certainly give it a try, in the meantime I've ruined the rubber boot/ dust cover, ( came off in me 'and Sarge), have you tried sourcing those?

Don.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to change the rear pads on my 1.6tdci c-max, and would like to know where I can get the caliper wind off tool (that has been mentioned on this and other postings) ; or whatever it's proper name is. A supplier/part number and price would be helpful, unless someone can rent me the tool for the weekend.
Many thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi, Any good car accessory shop will stock brake rewind tools, you can either buy a single rewind tool or buy a rewind kit which has various adapters these sell on ebay and go for about £25-£30 for a 19pc kit or a single tool from say halfords would be about £15!!or if your feeling strong some people use long nose pliers but i don't personally like using that method i've got a rewind kit much easier

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have decided to get the rear pads done by a local garage, quoted £60 all in with mintex pads, i couldn't do it myself for any less, having to buy all the tools, grease, torque wrench, pads, ect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just done the rear pads and discs on my 1.6 petrol55 plate cmax.Easy job,used long nosed pliers to wind/push the pistons back and worked a treat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I put Mintex padsand discs on the back of my car car recently, they have the proper clip on springs. Diff design to the oem ford pads that came off, but as effective!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts