C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My wifes 2004 1.6 petrol has following annoying problem:
When cold it often hiccups & misses, seems OK when hot although sometimes if struggling you can get it to pink.
Also if it doesn't start first time when cold it can sometimes take a couple of attempts.

It also has worse fuel consumption than my 2.8 litre car!

Thank in advance for any advice

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I have only just seen your post so don`t get too despondant with the site.
Seems like you have a fuel feed problem some where.I`m going tohave a think & get back to you.
MM

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I`ve been thinking and it could be that the spark plugs are set to the wrong gap &/or worn,dirty or faulty.If these are new & have been set correctly,then you may have a problem with the fuel injection (it may just need some redex put in with the petrol.It could also be a broken HT lead or even a vacuum leak at the throttle body/inlet manifold or any related hoses.
The more I think about it the more I`m inclined to go down the spark plug line of thinking,though it could also be incorect ignition timing.
Can you take one of the spark plugs out to see what it`s like?
If it`s coated in soot then the engine is running too rich.
Hope this gives you some ideas & you can get it sorted asap.Let us know how you get on.
All the best
MM

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
notaclue said:
That just about sums up the help here

Not very nice things to post is it?
Your asking fellow people to help and yet you post these silly things

Well MM has kindly posted a reply and I hope this helps but remember that not all of us may have the technical skill on the subject you are asking help for so sometimes it make take longer to get a response.

Still, there is always a garage to ask if you want a quicker answer.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
For petrol there are two possible sensors to consider
The "Knock sensor" which controls the ignition advance angle &
The "TDC position sensor" which gives the initial reference point for the whole process

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks Guy's

Was getting really fed up with the damn thing!
It's still doing it & I just logged on here again & found a PM from metalmicky08 which was kind.

I have had it checked & there are no fault codes coming up.
It only does around 35mpg even with the wife driving it & seems really gutless, daughters 1.3 KA has more go.
Just had it MOT'd today & mechanic there said to try fuel cleaner, guess it's worth a try ?

I only ever drive it about once a month

Ta

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
35MPG sounds reasonale to me for a 1.6 petrol, as for coughing and stuttering it could be a number of things. Firstly when was it last service? Filter/plugs all could do with a change if its not a big service for 2years/25k milesand after this i would start to look at what others are saying.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
From our previous 1.8 Focus doing about the same MPGand given smaller engine but bigger body and a slightly less favourable transmission / engine match the MPG doesn't seem bad - not good I have to say

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Try putting some Millers additive in before you fill up.They do a "Boost" bottle for cars that are in need of `help` & a bottle which will last for up to 10 tank fills.They do it for both petrol & Diesel.
I have been using the diesel version for over 2 years & I think it really has helped.I know some people doubt these thing work,but we used to use them in our racing cars (Touring,GT & LeMans) & never had any probs,only gains.
MM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts