C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Checked on the level of my oil today (1.8 petrol) and it didn't even register on the dipstick (eek!). Went to Halfords, bought 5 litres and poured the lot in. Now the dash has oil and the check engine light lit. I'm thinking too much oil? TIS says the initial fill should be 4.8....

Anyone know where I drain it from? I'm guessing the bottom somewhere?

Don't want to start it until I get the lights out....

I'm driving a 200mile trip tomorrow so need to get this right before tomorrow.

Cheers,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did you just pour the lot in in one go!!!!A better idea would have been to add about a litre at a time.

The sump plug would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It only takes a very small amount to top-up even when at the bottom of the stick. To get a better reading wipe the stick, re-insert, twist the stick 360 degrees take another reading. If I don't twist the stick on mine the oil doesn't show so appears empty. I've never had to top mine up, but it is low mileage.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
133 Posts
you will have to undo the sump plug. I have done this in the past and have managed to undo the sump plug with out pulling it out all the way and draining enough without having to drain the whole lot. you are better to drain too much out then top the engine up afterwards, than keep draining little bits at a time

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the first time I've ever had to touch anything oil related and thought the oil capacity was 20litres or so....oh how wrong was I!! Hindsight is a wonderful thing lol

I've tried to take the sump plug out but can't get enough torque on it so I've had to call a recovery company and hopefully they can do it here on the driveway.

I'll keep you updated....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts