C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks my first post and it's a cry for help. I've recently bought a 2004 CMax 1.8 petrol with apparently a genuine 15,000 on the clock. This is my first Ford since an almost new1971 Zephyr V6. What a car, unfortunately it was Silver Fox and suffered the then notorious 'paint falling off syndrome'. My very first car was a 1938 Ford 8, purchased in 1964 for£15. You will gather that I'm not in the first flush of youth!!
We are very pleased with theCMax but have got three niggling worries which I want to try to fix within my limited budget:-

1. Whenmanoeuvring at low speed the steering emits a groaning sound. It's not the usual power steering noise butsounds as if something is dry and perhaps needs lubricating.

2. The air con gives out a metallic grinding/whirring noise.

3. The lumbar support in the drivers seat is u/s. The handle moves but nothing happens.

I may have to live with these but it would be good to hear your comments. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Moonraker, I have the same noise from my steering on my 2004 2.0 tdci and have pin pointed it to the seals in the shock absorbers being dry. It's one of my jobs to do tomorrow so I will let you know if it solves it!! I'm sure all you have to do is lift up the rubber boot covering the shock shaft and spray the seals in the top of the shock where the piston enters.

Does your aircon actually pump out cold air? If not it could need re gassing. The noise sounds like the aircon pump is running dry. This is quite a common noise on air con systems when they require re gassing.

I also had the lubar support fault on my first C-max but never got round to sorting it. I would imagine the mechanism within side the seat has become detatched but wouldn't be 100% sure.

I will let you know if I cure the groaning noise tomorrow!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you bought the car from a dealer then take it back!
If private then:

No2: Air con could be the pump itself or internally where it hasnot been used for a long while and all the internal seals have dried up.

No3: The lumbar support should move outwards has press the lever down

No1: I know there has been talk about this before in another post but as that is not my forte, I'll leave that to someone else or you could the search function located at the top of the page while waiting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for a helpful reply.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the groaning cure!!

The air con does pump out coldish air. I'll look into having it regassed.

I've had a look around and under the seat, there doesn't appear to be any way to get to the inner mechanism so this may have to stay as it is - no great hardship.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.