C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 C-Max Energi.

I find myself constantly switching between Auto and EV-later mode when driving on the freeway because if I don’t every time I go up any kind of incline it will really hammer the battery range. I’ve found if I do this I can get up to 100mpg on the freeway.

The problem is, if I DON’T do this and remain in Auto mode, I might as well be driving in EV only mode because it will simply never sip a drop of gasoline.

I can’t imagine this is normal behavior.

Is there a way to reset the Auto mode so it behaves a little more like what I was expecting? It gets old constantly monitoring the battery / fuel consumption manually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I have found no different between Auto and EV Only mode at all, except if I floor the accelerator, the engine will actually come on in Auto mode. I wish on a Highway it would be smart enough to switch to gas instead of draining the battery at faster speeds quickly, so I have to do it manually and if I hit traffic I switch to auto

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you 100%. I have found no different between Auto and EV Only mode at all, except if I floor the accelerator, the engine will actually come on in Auto mode. I wish on a Highway it would be smart enough to switch to gas instead of draining the battery at faster speeds quickly, so I have to do it manually and if I hit traffic I switch to auto
Yes, flooring WILL engage hybrid temporarily, but that’s not really the way most C-Max Energi drivers accelerate - kind of counter intuitive.

If this is normal behavior then I’m glad there isn’t anything wrong here, but I’m also really disappointed because this seems like the PERFECT reason for Auto mode to exist in the first place, to determine the most energy efficient way to utilize the EV battery. If all it’s going to do is what I’ve seen so far, which is virtually indistinguishable from EV Now mode, what’s the point?

I too am constantly switching between EV later and Auto mode as I drive, always hitting EV later when I go up any kind of incline to keep it from draining the battery significantly. IF I do this I can make round trips from one end of town to the other and average around 120 mpg. If I don’t, the EV battery will be drained by the time I reach my destination and then it’s crappy hybrid mode the rest of the trip.

At the very least it would’ve made sense to put the mode switch button on the steering wheel so I’m not constantly reaching for it, which is borderline unsafe.

Seems like it may be overdue for a firmware or software update to fix this - fat chance of that ever happening. I wonder if there’s a way to adjust the Auto mode sensitivity through some series of actions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts