C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I discovered a 10cm crack had appeared on my front windscreen, so I've got in touch with my insurers to get someone out to replace it.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is it's heated and has a rain sensor, and looking at the Ford TIS it seems to be an awfully big job in swapping it out (A-pillar trim & overhead console coming off, removing wipers and cowl, etc..).

Has anyone else had their front windscreen replaced, and is the C-Max known to be particularly awkward customer in terms of getting its windscreen replaced?

I think what I'm asking is should I be wary of things going wrong if the job's entrusted to anyone other than something like a Ford dealership!

(having said that, I usually wouldn't entrust emptying the ashtray to a Ford dealership...)

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Do check that the remote control works properly after the screen is changed as part of it's circuitry is somewhere near the rear view mirror and can be disturbed by changing the windscreen

The othe point which is difficult to check at present is that the heated screen works unless you can manage to get it to mist up first

It might be worth chcking with the insurance as to what happens if you find that the heated bit doesn't work later

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have found in the past that the TIS does take the long way round quite often and makes you remove anything within a 1 mile areaaround of the component your changing just for better access. So it wouldn't surprise me if it was changed without removing these things. Edited by: Gepard

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Had mine done by Autoglass.
Heated and rain sensor all work fine.

My problem, as Richard pointed out, was the remote stopped working. Behind the internal light is the earth connection and if this is dirty or poorly fitted then the remote will not work.
Took three attempts by Autoglass, first two by numptys
who looked at you as if you were lying and saying it's not our fault / no fault of ours
and a 3 chap turns up, explain situation, knows what your talking about and fixes it perfectly

Yes mine was a horrorstory but having the windscreen put in is simple and as long as you know about the earth connection then all will be well. Oh and don't use Autoglass

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Or if you've no choice then go to the depot and sit there till they fix it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thankfully it seems to have be done fairly OK. There's a bit at the bottom on one side where the edge trim doesn't meet up with the cowl, but that is being a bit nit-picky. The wife did notice a small scratch, but they'll be coming out again to polish that out. The rain sensor seems to have also been stuck on with chewing gum, looking a bit ugly, but hopefully they'll tidy that up as well.

As for the electrics, everything seems to be working. I put a bowl of hot water from kettle under the screen to check the heating, and although it didn't really clear up the condensation, there was a difference where the wires were and where they weren't, suggesting power's getting there.

The company was National Windscreens, but obviously as it's a franchise operation it's luck of the gods as to whether you personally get a good fitter. As for this one, I'd tentatively say that I've been quite satisfied, although I'll reserve full judgement until I see how they handle the scratch and rain sensor glue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts