C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought a eight month old 1.8TDCI Titanium last month, well at least I thought I did! My vehicle registration document arrived this week and to my surprise my car is shown as a 1.6 TDCI(109PS). I have made various enquires and having spoken to the dealer it seems that they have made a mistake, My car is indeed a 1.6.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I have a couple of questions, As anyone out there got a 1.8tdci and what is the car like to drive? I have obviously compared the stats in the brochure but should I insist on them finding me a 1.8 or should I stick with the 1.6? Decisions decisions. Wait till the wife

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I`d probably stick with the 1.6 too & see if the dealer will come to some arrangement about free servicing (say for life) due to their mistake.
MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention. In the near future I intended to put a tow bar on the vehicle for towing my farther in laws caravan to and from the site he uses.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Would a 1.6 be suitable for this??

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
There is a 1200Kg tow limit for the 1.6TDCi so it depends on what weight
Do look at posts about possible clutch problems with too much weight

I think you ought to put into writing to the dealer that their wrong description of the goods they sold would in fact be reason to make the contract of sale void but that for the moment you are not minded to do so.

I realise that you may feel this is a little heavy but it does put everything on a propper footing in case there are any problems

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Should be,there are several members who tow with the 1.6.
Check back on the site later & see what others say.
There are some onder posts on the subject of towing if you have a trawl through to the Forum home section.
MM

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the forums mate, sorry to hear about that mate, I would certainly see if the dealer can offer some sort of compensation for their mistake, my dealer made a mistake saying my car was £35 a year to road tax, when they came to tax it they had to fork out the extra £30 for 6 months as it is either £115 or £120 a year to tax, not that bothers me.

I would stay with the 1.6 I've only got the 90bhp version and so far I'm impressed and is cheaper to run and more economical than the 1.8.

Davy

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 1.6 is definitely a better engine than the 1.8. I wanted the 1.6, but the dealer lied to me and said they'd been discontinued when I bought my car!

However I would check to see if it has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Some 1.6's do, some don't, and it's better not to have one for reliability, servicing and economy reasons, especially if you do a lot of short trips.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
You can check by what emission code letter is in the bottom left corner of the VIN plate on the B post.
If it's an "S" then you don't have a DPF

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi. If you PM me your reg I'll look up your c-max and be able to tell if its got one or not from the build code. Edited by: marshal

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
I would do what Richard G says as your intention is then clear and communicated.<A>The</A> 1.6, is a bit quieterand more economical than the 1.8, but the 1.8 pulls notably better. If the MTPLM of the caravan is higher than 1200kg then your hand may be forced into rejecting the car under Sale Of Goods Act as it isn't fit for purpose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts