C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I love LEDS, havereplaced the interior lights with them,but even I got to ask, what is it with people having blue LEDS? Don't get me wrong, I'm not preaching the right and wrongs, just want to know why?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
They are also likely to get you very noticed by those who dive round in "battenburgs" due the way that some people have used blue lights to steal vehicles by getting drivers to believe they were being followed by the police

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
They'll get you noticed because it's illegal to have fitted working blue lights on a vehicle unless you're emergency services. I fitted a full set of flashing blues front and rear and flashing rear reds on my old C-max as I did security work in closed off car parksso went around with them on to give the illusion of a police car. Looked amazing when turned on and the lights were all hidden so it worked just like an uncover vehicle.

The ones used to stop drivers where the flashing ones similar to what I had....not the solid blue sidelights - they're just annoying......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, i've been thinking of putting the LED sidelights in, but do they set off any warning lights with the wattage so much lower than normal 501 bulbs?

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
white led's give a crisp blue white light and are legal. but dont fit blues unless youwant your collar felt....well it give the police cause to pull you over anyway then you get a breath test etc etcEdited by: marshal

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the subject of lights any1 know where and how i can buy and retro-fit a set of original ford 'road legal' xenon hid's for my 04 c-max??
Cheers

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No idea of Legal hid kits.
If anyone is thinking of LED indicator lamps then you need resistors fitting in series to prevent any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
ash647 said:
On the subject of lights any1 know where and how i can buy and retro-fit a set of original ford 'road legal' xenon hid's for my 04 c-max??
Cheers
do remember that for HID's you probably also ought to have automatic headlamp levelling and headlamp washers and that if the MOT tester were fully up to speed with the conversion you would probably fail the MOT for not having

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi rich, well i was wondering how hard or if its possible to copy an existing c-max with the xenon lights fitted from new. I knows its a cost option so they must be legal and MOT compliant surely? Its just where to get hold of them and what additional work is required to fit them??
I did look at an independent supplier of a full HID's kit but that wasn't road legal and would fail the MOT but surely the original ford kit fitted to the correct ford would be ok??

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
ash647 said:
Hi rich, well i was wondering how hard or if its possible to copy an existing c-max with the xenon lights fitted from new. I knows its a cost option so they must be legal and MOT compliant surely? Its just where to get hold of them and what additional work is required to fit them??
I did look at an independent supplier of a full HID's kit but that wasn't road legal and would fail the MOT but surely the original ford kit fitted to the correct ford would be ok??
The factory fitted HID have
Automatic headlamp levelling that utilises sensors fitted to Front / Rear suspension
Headlamp washers

and probably several other bits and pieces of wiring which of course will be expensive bought as spare parts and depend on if there was anything missing that may not easily be retro fitted
I'll agree that several of the retrofit kits don't appear to have these but if an MOT tester was being very compliant with the law he could fail it due to having a non-approved part being fitted ( the HID system would really only be approved with all the control system mentioned above)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
There are exceptions to approval requirements though Richard, I can't remember what they are but I remember seeing a document about them and using it for my CarPC and worked out because there are various clauses in it I didn't need approval.
Can't remember what they were though and no idea where the (online) document is.
IIRC it's something to do with single application as opposed to mass manufacturer and/or installation of non vehicle intended components. So in theory it is quite possible to get a fully compliant HID install.....just like alot of retrofits - alot of effort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts