C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our07 C-Max Zetec was delivered on Wed this week and with the birth of our baby on Monday my first job was to sort the ISO fixings for the car seat base.

I called my local ford dealer first and they weren't entirely sure how to go about it. When they called me back they said it would cost about £120 per seat. After a bit of digging around (on here mostly) if found out it was a fairly simple job.

So I went to the dealership and ordered the parts i needed, it's basically 2 plastic inserts, 2 templates and a sticker. Total cost was £18.

When you feel around the lower back of the seat you can feel the iso mounts inside, so you need the templates to cut the seat fabric and the foam padding, then the plastic inserts make it all look tidy. In all it took me 10 minutes to do it and looks great.

We are using the Carbrio Fix car seat and iso base, the supportingleg will extended into the main floor past the false floor and the seat fits great!

I hope this info helps others who are in the same boat and don't end up going to their dealership and spending a fortune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The pics: The iso fix inserts on the seat

The cabrio fix base in place with the supporting leg extended past the false floor.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The case that was raised last time around was what happens to the top tether fixing for child seats or does this one not need it?

Not that I need either child or grandchild seats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the seat has a supporting leg and it will reach past the false floor then the top tether fixing is not required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this information - I find myself in the same situation (expensive quote for what seems a simple job!).

To expose the isofix brackets, are there any tools required other than a knife? Do seat covers need to be removed / seats dismantled, or can it all be fitted in situ? Any pitfallsor safety issues in doing it yourself?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all

Just bought a 04 plate Ghia C Max on the belief that it was a good family car. with one 2 year old already and a2nd due any day now I have been hacking at the rear seats this afternoon to get the ISOFIX guides fitted. Pretty pleased with the results, looks clean and tidy, certainly not worth paying a dealer >£100 to do a 15 minute relativeley unskilled job.

Thing is my toddlers car seat is an isofix maxi-cosi Priorifix and the leg does not extend all the way past the false floor, resulting in the seat having vertical movement (I believe this is refferrred to as hinging). I`m pretty sure the baby easyfix base (Britax) will have the same problem. Anyone have any experience of using top tether anchor points with either/both of these seats? Are they compulsary or are the seats still secure without the top tether?

I thought ISOFIX was supposed to be universal (as in ISO), clearly not!!! :(

TIA

GAHU

·
Registered
15 Posts
If there's any movement, I'd use a top tether. I have the same seat but with no leg as I was told it wasn't suitable on a cmax floor. I picked up a tether strapfairly cheaply in Mothercare and it was a bit of a faff to fit - anda bit of a PITA on the rare occasions that I swap car seats.

·
Registered
125 Posts
gahu40 said:
Hi all

I thought ISOFIX was supposed to be universal (as in ISO), clearly not!!! :(
ISOFIX only means that it there is a fitting that complies with the ISOFIX standard (ISO 13216), where ISO = International Standards Organisation.

Just because this standard exist does not mean that manufacturers have to use it. I think Ford is behind the game in not fitting the kits as standard, but then not everybody needs a Group 0 or 1 car seat - many C-Max are bought by people with older kids, or no kids (as they're good for carrying bicycles), or older people/motability because they're easy to get in/outof.

Any dealer worth their salt should bung this in for free to to close a sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I've just bought an 06 cmax and thinking
about getting the Isofix points installed. I
already have a mamas and papas Primo
Viaggio and wondered if anyone knows if the
isofix base for this fits the cmax? Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
We are using a maxi cosi car seat for our 3 month old grandson. I have to say that I shied away from getting an isofix base for 2 reasons.
1. The weight of the base.
2. The cost for an item that would only work in one of the 3 cars it might be used in.
3. concerns about the damage the isofix base might cause to car upholstery (I have seen leather seats ruined by these bases).
4. The lady in the very good baby shop demonstrated how easy it was to fit the seat without either an isofix or other base .
Having used the seat for the past few weeksi must agree. I can't see the advantage in the isofix base when the seatbelt holds the seat so well (and the maxi cosi came out top in The Which Report).
Of course by coincidence when we picked our Cmax up last week i realised the isofix kit has been fitted on the left hand seat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Olliesgrandad said:
We are using a maxi cosi car seat for our 3 month old grandson. I have to say that I shied away from getting an isofix base for 2 reasons.
2. The cost for an item that would only work in one of the 3 cars it might be used in.
3. concerns about the damage the isofix base might cause to car upholstery (I have seen leather seats ruined by these bases).
4. The lady in the very good baby shop demonstrated how easy it was to fit the seat without either an isofix or other base .
Having used the seat for the past few weeksi must agree. I can't see the advantage in the isofix base when the seatbelt holds the seat so well (and the maxi cosi came out top in The Which Report).
Of course by coincidence when we picked our Cmax up last week i realised the isofix kit has been fitted on the left hand seat
you're right in that the base is heavy and cumbersome if you are needing to take it out and move it often. with the base installed though the ability to simply snap the seat in place was a real advantage for us. much easier than having to belt in and out every time.

the other problem we had was that as our car at the time was very small (corsa) it was impsosible to fit a belted seat without the profile of the corsa seats leaving a gap under the baby seat (the angle of the seat base in the corsa was too steep) so the base was the only option.

our neighbours had a belted seat in a leather interioed car and ended up buying a 40 quid anti slip map. in retrospect they wish they'd spent more and got the base and the easie of getting in/out

·
Registered
13 Posts
js70062 said:
Just had the very same experience - bought the car, couldn't find the mount points. Eventually spoke to a dealer who quoted us £120 for parts & labour.

ford part number is 1 332 664

I found the parts online here http://www.fordpartsplus.net
i spoke to my local dealer and he quoted £60 per side. Was your quote for just one side? seems an awful lot of money either wayfor the work involved.

I'm generally hopeless at DIY and also car related stuff, but... using the link on this forum i managed to fit an isofix kit (£19) on ebay in about ten minutes on one side. The kit comes with templates which you mark and then trace a cut line.

then the scary bit with the scalpel/stanley/craft knife cutting the trim. then you just have to cut the foam away behind. (as other posters have said you can feel the lug before cutting so you know you are in the right place)

the link suggests a long bladed craft knife and having used a stanley i can see that this would have made it even easier.

the plastic trim just clips over the lug then. the trim is also a lot wider than the hole you cut, so even if you did manage to cut in the wrong place you have a good deal of leeway.

i didnt bother taking the seat out, just slid passenger front seat fully forward and worked inside.

if i can do it, anyone can!

trust me i'm normally hopeless at this kind of thing. :) but i went back into the house ten minutes later feeling very proud of the job!

paul Edited by: swanny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Olliesgrandad said:
I feel that safety-first has been overlooked somewhat here. You can't compromise or put a price on children's safety, that's why I bought a cmax and thats why I have ISO fixings installed and the safest bases and car seats possible. Safety first - I will always follow the safest guidelines available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.