C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford offers a new disc insert for $149, and I see offers on eBay at $65 but don't know if they are reliable. Does anyone have any experience with the updates or know if there is a freebie available?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went through this dilemma a while back with my C-max. There are free "updates" from Ford. But none applied to my card. I believe is was an early level 4. Discovered what I really needed was to purchase an "up-grade". And, as always the dealer's offer is costly. For I believe a level 11 card. Got the lowest priced one on E-bay. Works great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went through this dilemma a while back with my C-max. There are free "updates" from Ford. But none applied to my card. I believe is was an early level 4. Discovered what I really needed was to purchase an "up-grade". And, as always the dealer's offer is costly. For I believe a level 11 card. Got the lowest priced one on E-bay. Works great.
Thanks for the input. I checked eBay also and found sources that offer the Level 12 at $65 which is the best price I have found so far and much better than OEM. I was hoping that there might be a work around but maybe not and I'll just have to do as you did and bite the bullet. Great to hear that the eBay product works well. Again, thanks for your get back. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford offers a new disc insert for $149, and I see offers on eBay at $65 but don't know if they are reliable. Does anyone have any experience with the updates or know if there is a freebie available?
Go with the Ford update! My dealer, Ron Duoratt Ford in Dixon, CA installed the upgrade for me at no charge!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with the Ford update! My dealer, Ron Duoratt Ford in Dixon, CA installed the upgrade for me at no charge!
In the 6 years that I've owned our 2015 C-max, I've replaced the mapping twice with new cards bought on eBay. No trouble at all. It's just an SD Card that fits in one of the slots inside the armrest.
Our 2016 C-max does not use a card, but instead updates through the Ford connect system automatically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could not find a free update but I did find an affordable alternative. Ebay has several listings for the A11 SD (2020 issue) for as low as $23. I also found out where the SD Slot is located, it's in the center armrest and very easy to get to. Easy to change in 30 seconds and the ones in Ebay are new with great recommendations. Thats where I will go to get the update. Also listed is the current A12 issue at around $64.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Five related CMAX software questions:
1. How does one learn what version of the CMAX maps one is currently using?
2. My version of the CMAX software tells me what street I'm traveling on at the top of the display. Do later software versions tell upcoming cross-street names, instead or in addition, which would be much more useful?
3. When you change the SD card, do you get an upgrade to the terrible 2013 CMAX voice recognition program and/or other features?
4. Is there ways in which the 2013 CMAX map software is better than Google Maps on a modern smartphone, except that Google then might not learn about your travels (if you also turn off your smartphone GPS reception), or will not if you turn your smartphone off altogether?
5. I haven't tried to pair my Android 11 smartphone with the CMAX. Is that possible? Straightforward?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, those are all good concerns. I don't know the answer to any of them but I can offer one observation. The SD card is easy to get to, it's right there in the center Armrest. I would guess that you could remove it and see what series number is on it. I believe the 2013 was series A3, the current series is A12 (available on eBay for $65) the A11 would also work and it's also available for under $30.

From what I have been able to gather, the update goes very easy with no effort, just take out the old and insert the new, restart the car and wait for it to install, that's it. Now I have not done this yet so take my comments for what they are worth as I have in repeating comments I have read from others. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.