C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a 54 plate C-max and i've had it for nearly 2 years. I've had no major problems with it until the end of last month. After a journey of 270miles the engine management warning light came on. I took it to the local Ford dealer in Liverpool to find out what the fault could be. It came back as being an air leak at the inlet manifold or hoses.

Ford tested the oxygen sensorin the cat and it was working fine, however it is supplying incorrect voltages to the ECU as to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust (Too high). Consequently, the ECU is compensating by injecting more fuel to achieve the correct air/fuel mixture. Needless to say fuel consumption has increased! I'm now getting 250miles to a tank!

Has anybody come across this fault and do they know of a place to start as i don't particularly want to start stripping the manifold to find out it's a hose that can be replaced in seconds!!

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
start with going round and making sure all the hos clips are tight
the usual way to check for what must be quite a big air leak is to listen for a whistle and then try each succesive joint with a small amount of clean engine oil and see if the engine note changes

you can quicly try each end of the hoses with putting a small piece of tape over the pipe and then putting the hose back on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got whistling! I listened to the engine whilst it was running the other day and i can hear a faint whistle It's going to be a nightmare trying to find that with the engine running though! Got to do my front discs and pads first though, quite worn! Cheers Rich

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
start just after the airmeter box (as you know it is not being metered) working towards the manifold doing the nuts up as you go as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts