C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 1.8 zetec on a 56 - only 18k miles. While on a normal road it is quiet, down residential streets and over road humps it does creak quiet slot from around the rear doors. Is this shared by other owners even on low mileage cars? Any common remedies? It may be the rubber seals, maybe some silicon might help?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine sounds like an oldpirate ship

Have seen on this forum that the door rubber seals are the culprit. Advise is to spray with a silicone polish or similar or just replace. I suppose using the spray as part of a fault finding exercise is the cheapest way to start. I just have not got round to doing it yet, shiver me timbers

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
All the seals were done on mine with silicone spray to protect them and all good there.
Only things that slightly creak is the dash storage and my bones

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine was creaking all over - took it back to the dealers a few times and now it is just the dreaded B pillar that makes a noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sprayed my seals last night, didn't seem to help much. But it rained over night and it was a lot quieter this morning

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did mine last night too with mr shean silicone polish. Seems to have done the trick.
(note to self....use lubrication
)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have the same problem here. When I drive alone the passenger side of the car seems to creak and moan! Think part of it is the leather seats but maybe will try the silicone spray. This needs to go on the rubber door seals?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 04 plate Max and picked it up Saturday.I have noticed this creeking and it only seems to be from the O.S, its like a boat creaking in the sea,very strange.Iam very pleased with the car and glad its not just me that has this "creeking".I will try out the suggestions on here and hopefully cure the problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My car creaks from the drivers seat all the time unless you lift it up just a touch off the lowest height, that seems to work in conjunction with a dash of WD40.
Also the dash creaks like mad, but not all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a further note on this, and a possible reason for the creaking. Most modern cars now use double seals. Older cars only used to have them on door frame. The C-max has them on the door and the frame. The use of double seals must be in order to reduce wind noise and leaks.

Since I noted the creaking I've taken time to (sadly) observe the seals that other cars use. I've noted that some use a rubber seal matched against a felt like seal - so not rubber on rubber. I imagine that even the stiffest floorpan flexies a little bit. So with rubber on rubber you are always going to get some creaking and squeeking when the rubber dries out over time. I wonder if it was a cost cutting measure by Ford? Anyhow, the only way around it is to keep the seals lubricated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine creaks from the map compartment on the top of the dash
a little wd or similar sorts it out otherwise all is ok
touch wood

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you use Silicone spray be aware if you need to paint around there.....

The paint will boil.
The best medisin is Siliconegrease so you dont get it on any paint.
Here we lube our seals every year before winter so it does not freeze closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I thought my dash was making a noise but found it to be the rear view mirror against the windscreen.

Hope this help'
s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts