C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the other day at about 50mph and suddenly the temp gauge went up to max and the power went totally. I pulled over and turned the engine off. I then started it again and continued driving. The car was fine until I reached 50mph and above then it happened again. I've had it on the diagnostics but no faults showed up. A mechanic replaced a sensor in the thermostat but didnt solve it then I had a replacement thermostat unit fitted and still no joy. The mechanic doesnt think its the head gasket cos theres no water leaks.Even while driving at 30mph, the temp goes up to half quickly without evidence that the car is overheating.Can anybody help, driving below 50mph is a nightmare and losing power is quite scary.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
This could be related to an air lock but I'm not sure why the apparent speed related link

I presume that having had the thermostat changed the cooling system is properly full

When the temp gauge shows ½ will the heater give out any heat when turned up to max output

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the cooling system was topped up. The heater blows hot air fine as well. I can be driving for 5 mins from cold and the temp gauge goes up to half and the cooling fan kicks in. Thats without going over 30mph in town driving. Nothing showed up on the diagnostic at the garage so not sure what to do next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts