C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening

Has Anyone here upgraded their standard halogen headlights to the ford hid projector headlights
as ive been reading the ford TIS info on all the wiring diagrams etc, it appears the hid headlights will plug in and work however i realise that a factory fitted hid kit will have auto levelers fitted on front and rear axels

Anyone help please ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thought as much m8, someone has offered me set of HID headlamps with balasts and bulbs in good condition with 6 months warranty for £95 a headlamp,

one thing that worries me is there seems to be a High intensity discharge headlamp control module thats fitted in behind the dash around fusebox it interconnects with the 2 auto levelers ive just had a look in my max ive spotted the connector for the front leveler sitting on top of the inner wheel arch (driverside mines taped to loom you can see it through hole just in front of cooling system reservoir with 3 wires, Brown/Blue, White/Blue and Yellow/Blue so good there im guessing the rear connector will be on the loom ill get under the car in more light to check,

so the question now is the High intensity discharge headlamp control module thats in the TIS wiring is it needed as per TIS diagrams or a add on unit lets hope not maybe its a standard light control unit connected the the CAN bus system who knows, ill pull fusebox and glove box out in weekend as it appears to be in that area.

ill do like you said our next c max which im hoping to get the 2010 model ill get the extra HIS add on tis worth it

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm looking at my TIS and I think you are reading it wrong....The thing that connects to the middle CANBUS network is the fuse/junction box which just has a simple relay in. There isn't a special HID control module....

All you need to do is disconnect the current headlights, and connect up your new ones and it should work.

But please don't forget the lenses......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you looking at

417-01-00-008, Exterior Lighting, Headlamp levelling, with high intensity discharge headlamps under ² Exterior Lighting - Headlamp levelling 417-01-00-007

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if your correct are you saying its a relay thats either there or missing in the main fuseboard as im looking at a wiring diagram which is showing a connection with a connector labeled C838 and has 26 pins

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah yes my apologies however that doesn't control the bulbs directly. Look at 417-01-00-004 all you need to do is connect your HID bulbs to C96 wires 7 and 8 and it should work fine.

You only need the auto levelling if it was on there when the vehicle was new.....as they weren't you don't.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
This thread started my brain working in terms of my previous time in Vehicle Homologation" or what is legal to fit to a vehicle and then the comment about not needing headlamp levelling started alarm bells ringing

I've done some checking and I believe that to legally have HID headlights you need both auto levelling (and headlamp washers - probablly !!) installed. The reasoning being that with the lights being so much brighter they must be properly aimed all the time and properly clean

Has anyone got factory fit HID without either / both?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
To follow up and as the headlamp levelling is not auto you will have to have auto vehicle levelling and headlamp cleaning system installed

The following comes from ECE 48 and is part of Vehicle type approval <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">and thus in effect part of the MOT<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />[/B]
http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">6.2.6.2. Headlamp levelling device [/B]
6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.

These manually adjustable devices must be operable from the driver's seat.

Continually adjustable devices must have reference marks indicating the loading conditions that require adjustment of the dipped-beam
Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device[/B](s) according to Regulation No. 45. 7/ In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied.[/B]

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sorry I was getting confused....you don't need to fit levellers as they're already in the headlight and you don't need to fit washers because they're not an OEM item.

Vehicle type approval is only for new vehicles and the MOT manual doesn't require an inspection for washers: http://www.ukmot.com/1-2.asp#Text_top

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zzz you been busy m8 i was thinking last night about light washers and to be honest cant ever remember seeing washers fitted to a c max with hid installed maybe i didnt look clost enough so nevermind so ill give em a go

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Having done Vehicle type approval in a past life I know where I stand on these rules
Not that probably many MOT testers would check such things but if you'd care to read the text of the Motor Vehicle test regulations rather than just the MOT manual you will find that item 8 of Schedule 2 that covers all classes of vehicle above class 1 includes reference to Reg 18 of the Road Vehicle lighting Regs (in respect ofheadlamps)which has the following text

Obligatory lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices
18(1)Save as provided in the foregoing provisions of these Regulations and in paragraphs (2), (2A) and (2B), every vehicle of a class specified in a Table in Schedule 1 shall be fitted with lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices which-<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
(a)are of a type specified in column 1 of that Table, and
(b)comply with the relevant installation, alignment and performance requirements set out in the Schedule or Part of a Schedule shown against that type in column 2 of that Table

From the alternative approval alternatives in Shedule 4 the washers and automatic levelling are part of the requirement for the type approval of the HID lamp so without it you have an un-approved part which is another item for an MOT failure

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good info Richard solution to this though would be simply to hang onto the halogen units and change at MOT time hehe
, Guessing that its illegal to run without levelers or washers and i could get into trouble if spot checked by VOSA or police on roadside so im thinking ill leave it and make sure next i buy new i get the hid optional extra or find car thats lets say 1 year old with em fitted,
for a moment i was enjoying the challenge working out all wiring on TIS guess i could add the levelers as the loom is there just the issue with the light washers.

Thanks Gepard & Richard

Edited by: Couger

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
the H/lamp washers is the easy bit as it only needs a higher pressure pump (per Ranger Rover or similar)and a solenoid that is energised with a h/lamp feed and then you feed the 2nd pump from the first washer pump via the solenoidand away you go. You do need to drill a couple of smallish holes for the jets in the bumper and a split feed from the washer bottleand you could have them heated as well via a ..... I'll stop there GD & R!!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
From the FAQ:

What is type approval?

Type approval is the process which ensures that vehicles, their systems and components, meet the appropriate environmental and safety standards. Currently the scheme covers new road vehicles, agricultural tractors, motorcycles and off road vehicles. Further, more detailed information is available within this website.
Not used road vehicles.

However...you do raise a point about the approval. If the part is made for the purpose of going in a vehicle it has to be approved but for items that aren't meant to go in a vehicle and a one off you don't need approval and that's the loophole I use for my CarPC.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Agreed in respect of parts not meant to go into vehicles not needing approval, BUT and a very big but just be very careful. There is within the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 reference to section 76 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 creating the offence of "fitting of defective or unsuitable parts" (probably defined as non approved parts) that could lead to a fine at Level 5 on the standard scale (£5,000)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts