C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 1.6 Zetec TCDI

Yet another problem with my 5 year old car.

An hour ago I applied the handbrake and it made a noise and pulled ALL the way up.
It works in almost a vertical position. Just enough to stop the car rolling away. I really don't need this. Surely the cable couldn't have broken? Has something come loose?

Can anybody help please? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
It might be an idea to check both backplates and see that one cable fixing hasn't come loose and that you are only apply the H/B to one wheel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well guys I got underneath the rear end and found that when I tugged at the cable lug it was loose so pulled a little bit and it eventually came out. The cable had snapped so another trip down to Fordthorne. This sucks! Fed up of spending money on a 5 year old car. I never once had to replace my cable on my 11 year old Toyota. I have no idea how much this is going to cost? Does anybody know if this is a straight forward job?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The job of changing the cable itself should (appears to be from TIS) relatively straight forward. The problem may well come with how much of anything else has to be taken off to do the job.

Do remember that you ought to change both halves of the rear part of the H/Brake cable so the applied effort balances due to cable stretch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts