C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a 53 plate Cmax 1.8 Ghia (FSH with 25K on the clock). Recently, when turning the wheel in either direction there is a 'groaning' noise coming from the front of the car.It seems to belouder at low speeds. Any ideas what this could be, it's driving me mad? Many thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same when i reverse and turn at low speeds , it passed a MOT and a main dealer service and nothing showed up . It doesnt do it whilst driving forwards. Ihave checked power stearing fluid levels they are ok . At first i thought it was a worn bush but it passed MOT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
our 1.6 53 plate petrol cmax does it also when on full lock.its done 20,000 miles and has a recent steering hose replacement,the noise was evident before and afterwards amd ford dealer said its normal to groan when on full lock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same problem fixed under warranty. It's the track rod ends - the rubber gaiters split, and the grease dries out, causing the groaning noise.

Fixed in my case by replacing the track rods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just changed front tyres from none branded budget to Pirelli P6000 and the noise has stopped ! Had the noise since i got the car and the cheap tyres were on it then . Dont know if its a concidence .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have the same noise from my steering on my 2004 2.0 tdci and have pin pointed it to the seals in the shock absorbers being dry. It's one of my jobs to do tomorrow so I will let you know if it solves it!! I'm sure all you have to do is lift up the rubber boot covering the shock shaft and spray the seals in the top of the shock where the piston enters

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I'm not certain that the shocks should move when the steering is turned
I've had the same type tyre noise on particular road surface noise before that is really a product of the tyre tread pattern and the "blocks" just moving

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.