C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP
IM A NEWBY HERE AND I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 04 DIESEL CMAZ AND WHEN I GOT HOME I FILLED THE TANK UP AS FAR AS THE PUMP WOULD ALLOW ME TOO, BUT IT IS SHOWING ONLY JUST OVER 1/2 FULL
WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM AS I'VE ONLY HAD THE CAR 5HRS....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to the club , sorry to hear your ownership already has problems.
I would assume it is the fuel sender unit at fault, from memory it is a Fuel tank out job to check/changeas I belive there is no accessable panel to remove from inside the car ( under drivers side rear seat FYI ).
If you bought it from a garage I would call them first thing and register the complaint and look for repair, if private, it may be worth asking the original owner if they were aware of this ( probably deny it ) and if they were ask politely why you were not informed, and maybe a contribution to fixing it.
Somewhere on the site was a self test for the guages, I will have a quick look.
Hope this helps!.
Welcome once again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello Linmay,
First, it is customary for first posters to introduce themselves in the Newbie section.
Second, I've come across pumps all over the place that cut out way before filling the tank to the brim. I suggest you try again, this time not fully inserting the nozzle. You will of course hear when the petrol, or diesel, is getting to the top of the spout. That will determine whether your car is at fault. If you are still not registering full on the gauge after determining that the tank is actually full, then I suggest you use all of the fuel you have in the tank and try again to fill it up when empty. You may well find as I did that your gauge suddenly behaves itself after two or three fills. My gauge is now fine at the top end, but when it registers absolutely empty I still have 10 litres of fuel in the tank
. Kevmond is right, however, you should hand the problem on to the garage, if you bought from one, and that it is probably the fuel sender, but a new one is an expensive option. Please let us know how you get on.
Edited by: romseyraver

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The check for the fuel sender is part of the instrument panel check but I've forgotten how you get to that routine at present
Changing the fuel sender for the diesel is a "tank out" job and is also best done when you have not a lot of fuel in. The tank holds around 57 litres of fuel and you ought to get between 10 and 11 miles per litre (at least) which gives around 570 miles per tank just so you don't run out of fuel which can be awkward with diesel

·
Registered
250 Posts
Richard, I thought that all Cmax petrol tanks had a capacity of 55 litres, as stated in the handbook, and not 57 litres? If it is 57 litres then my car is doing rather better MPG than I calculated
Edited by: romseyraver

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Agreed on the figure in the h/book I must check where I got the 57 from
I'm curious how does this improve you MPG figures as that should be the miles divided by the amount of fuel you put back in to bring it up to pump cut out

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Gepard said:
I've found as well that some....if you squeeze too hard cut out. Very annoying!
Agree, I have to tease the diesel in before going full blast other wise it cuts out every couple of seconds.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yup, Richard, as usual I don't know what I'm talking about, now I think about it [which I find isn't as easy a thing to do as it once was]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi
thanks for your replies, since my 1st post i tried to fill up again and it took me 20 mins to dribble in another £20 but the guage is showing full now.. so it seems the guage is ok but why so long to fill up as the pump keeps shutting off. i expect to do this when i'm trying to get as much in the tank as poss but not £20 worth.. any ideas please

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Linmay,
very pleased to hear your gauge seems to be behaving itself. That's a relief. As you can see from the above, pumps shutting off is a common problem, although a 20 minute fill-up seems somewhat extreme. I have had similar problems all-over. You stick the nozzle in,squeeze and the trigger fails
. No doubt an excellent birth control method but utterly frustrating, car-wize. I don't know what the solution is, but some pumps are better than others, even at the same petrol station, and I find it certainly helps not to insert the nozzle fully and to tease the trigger somewhat rather than fully depress it. I know none of this should be happening, but it do and we all just have to get on with it.
Happy drives

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks romsey i will try that next time and see how it goes.
you've been very helpful thanks
will let you know how things go

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had a problem with the fuel gauge after filling up, basically it does not move, and stays where it was before i filled up, eventually after a few drives it corrects itself, very annoying though and hard to show the problem to a garage as it does not happen all the time

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The test mode for the instrument panel ought to show some sort of fault code

1 - 14 of 14 Posts