C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter drives a 2015 C-Max energy. Since half a year there are problems. When the vehicle battery is not charged everything works fine. After charging the battery goes the first drive. But after the shutdown and then start again error is displayed and driving is no longer possible. Only after an error reset via OBD you can drive again.
Ford Germany can not find the cause and has no desire to help us further. Only a few cars were sold, ~60 pieces.
Maybe someone can help me, because in the USA a lot of cars of this model have been sold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2013 Cmax SEL Hybrid that gave me fits with the battery (The small 12v battery not the large main system battery) that lost its charge when sitting overnight. It was crazy, we would know the battery was fully charged, park the car in the garage, and the next morning the battery was dead. We went through 3 new batteries without a solution. After 6 months by accident we realized that whenever we left the phone charging cord plugged in, even if there was no phone attached, THE BATTERY RAN DOWN. We told that to our Ford dealer who said that was new to him. After unplugging any USB devices in the car when the car was not running solved the issue, and we have never had one since. Maybe this might help you, maybe not but might be worth a try.

For all other early Cmax models owners, this dead battery issue is much larger than Ford will admit to because they don't want another recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2013 Cmax SEL Hybrid that gave me fits with the battery (The small 12v battery not the large main system battery) that lost its charge when sitting overnight. It was crazy, we would know the battery was fully charged, park the car in the garage, and the next morning the battery was dead. We went through 3 new batteries without a solution. After 6 months by accident we realized that whenever we left the phone charging cord plugged in, even if there was no phone attached, THE BATTERY RAN DOWN. We told that to our Ford dealer who said that was new to him. After unplugging any USB devices in the car when the car was not running solved the issue, and we have never had one since. Maybe this might help you, maybe not but might be worth a try.

For all other early Cmax models owners, this dead battery issue is much larger than Ford will admit to because they don't want another recall.

Thank you for your message. That is an unbelievable story. I asked my daughter if she leaves the USB cable plugged in. She says it can happen, but the last time the car was at Ford service, the USB cable was not plugged in.

About 18 months ago we had the first problem with the C-Max. The original 12V battery was empty in the evening and the car stopped responding. The next morning I bought and installed a new battery and then came the error message. Only after error reset via mobilephone and OBD stick the car started running again. Three weeks later, after work with fully charged HV battery went off 1.5 km to the supermarket and then when starting came the error message. Then I went to her and after the error reset the car started again.In March after the monitoring by the TÜV the 12V battery was weak, after jump start and reset everything went again. Then the Ford service made a software update and said, now everything is fine again.In March after the monitoring by the TÜV the 12V battery was weak, after jump start and reset everything went again. The Ford service then made a software update and said, now everything is fine again. So it was but only until November. Also again after shopping in the evening the error. The Ford service has then renewed the 12V battery because it has suffered from the two deep charges. The car was now in December and January in the service workshop. The error occurred once, but they could not find out the cause. They suggested not to charge the car, because then the error does not occur.

Since Monday I drive the car so I can look for the cause. I also suspect the 12V supply. This morning I measured the voltage, it was 12.77 V with the engine off. Then I charged the 12v battery and also the HV battery. Let's see when the error occurs again.

Best regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sure sounds similar to our experiences. I think the module that controls the USB device has a flaw that allows the battery to drain when it's attached even if there is not a device hooked up to it.

I did have one other electronic issue and that was with the GPS device. It went into a update and would not come out of it. That also shut down my radio, both am and fm, they would not work at all. I took it to the dealer and they told me I had to leave the car for two days while they removed the computer and reprogramed the system. Then install new maping software. Cost - $250. I told them I needed to think that over and look for other options. I researched similar experiences in here and found there were many with the same problem. THERE IS AN EASY SOLUTION AT NO COST> Unplug #9 fuse on the fuse panel, let it wait for 20 seconds and plug it back in. BINGO it worked and has worked well every since including the Radio. Funny, but Ford Dealer did not know about that either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts