C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 1.6 TDCi went in for its MOT today and would have passed but for excessive play in the above parts as a consequence of which they need replacement at a cost of about £368.

The car has done 64000 largely trouble free miles and has been regularly serviced.

I thought I should have expected about 100,000 miles out of them.The garage expressed surprise and had to check specifically to get a price because it was uncommon.Does anyone else have any experience of this problem?

I have an independent warranty which does cover front bushes but I suspect I may have my claim questioned or rejected as "wear and tear" so the issue of how long they are supposed to last is qiute important.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Also does the price quoted seem reasonable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
£368 for front suspention bushes!? Are they made of solid gold!?

The wear of the bushes should be around 80-100k miles, unless ofc the car is constantly stop starting excessivelythen they will wear alot sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

What I have been told is that the bushes come with the front wishbone,they cant be done individually,resulting in that quote.Dont know if thats right?

However this garage is reliable and trustworthy I think,comes with agood reputationand I have used it for many years

·
Registered
232 Posts
Genuine ford wishbones are £120 each. then you'll need the tracking done, seems like a fair price to me, if they are using genuine ford bits. I would not use patten parts as they are never as good as the original. for example on my mondeo the ball joints failed after 160,000 miles. I fitted some QH ball joints and they needed doing again by the following MOT after 18,000 miles. Have now fitted ford ones again and have covered over 30,000 with no signs of wear. My motto is "they're cheap, cos they're sh**"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou all.

My local Ford dealer would charge about £460 for the same job,I found that Nationwide would charge about £280-290 but query the make of the parts given what is said above.There would also then be a MOT re-test fee.

My warranty policy has rejected the claim,unfortunately correctly I think,because the bushes referred to in my policy document relate to another part!

So I guess I've got to take this on the chin and try and avoid the speed humps and potholesfrom now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts