C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my C-Max from a Ford dealer and asked for a factory fit towbar which was described as coming complete with 13pin electric socket. Recently pruchased a new caravan also with a 13pin electrical socket. When connected the power to the fridge and caravan battery charging didnt work. Took it back to a Fordmain dealer(Macrae & Dick Inverness) who explained after consuting with Ford GB:- Ford factory fit the towbar but do not connect the electrics to the fridge or battery charger on the socket. The 13 pin is a continental standard and Ford are under no obligation to fully fit the electrics. Owing to the Super BatteryCharger on the C-Max it could cause problems with the alternator.- They further went on to explain that they could retro fit a relay to protect the alternator and then connect the wiring completely at a cost of approx £160. I explained that I had bought the car supposedly with a working towbar but had no joy. I took the car to a Ford agent who are to get the part and fit it for free. Has anybody else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
What is the difference between the 13 pin socket and a 12N / 12S set up interms of the current draw from the alternator. None that I can see

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Richard

The 12N & 12S are actually 13 pin sockets so there is no difference. The problem is, apparently, that a caravan battery can back feed the car alternator and cause damage. This is why Ford do not finish the wiring in the factory.

Had I fitted the towbar through the dealer this problem would not have arisen.

Thanks for your reply

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HiWater Orton

The problem is, apparently, that a caravan battery can back feed the car alternator and cause damage. A Smart Charger has to be inserted into the charge circuit and connection to the caravan battery charger to stop this. This is why Ford do not finish the wiring or fit the Smart Charger in the factory.

Had I fitted the towbar through the dealer this problem would not have arisen.

Thanks for your reply

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Gepard I dont know where Water Orton came from. Please accept my sincere appologies.

Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Gerard

Up until now I've charged the battery through the caravn 240v system either at home or through onsite connections. As of Todayitwill charge of the car as the problem has been fixed.

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

I had a ford towbar fitted, but they couldn't fit the twin sockets - they looked at me as if I had two heads when I asked ! Seems like they don't know about them in southern ireland. I guess I shouldnt be surprised.... they dont even have the dpf additive LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.