C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all!

I have a 1.6 TDCI 04 plate -

its done 52000 miles, its my first diesel but for me it seems to smoke quite a bit;

not just hard acceleration, but pulling off steadily?

Is this something I should be worried about?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
When you say smoke. What colour is it?
Are you saying you can see it in the rear view mirror when you are driving or is it based on what someone else following has said

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Should also have asked what MPG are you getting. Ought to be close to 50 with that engine based on our 54 plate model that's done about the same miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Im getting aorund 48 mpg;
I see the smoke in the rear view mirror - pulling away, mild acceleration its quite light in colour, looks a but oily?
If I floor it its blacker, which I think is normal?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Given your description the MPG and that it doesn't hesitate under acceleration and give big clouds of black smoke I don't think its yet a major concern but like everything else it is a case of keep observing it and make certain oil and air filters are changed as recomended or when the air filter begins to look very black

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that Richard;
ref hesitate under acceleration; when you pull away or sometimes change gear there can be a delay while the revs build to about 2000 rpm before it kicks in; I just thought this was normal for the turbo diesel?
air filter looks really clean.
keep an eye I guess

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The 1.6 has a variable vane turbo to reduce turbo lag which I tend not to see (Unless I try to pull away in third by mistake)
Try also feeling for any surface / pipework that feels oily that might indicate a leak

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm experiancing the same smoking from my 2004 1.6tdci, and have just had it serviced at fords and they told me "it's a bit throaty"so i asked him what he meantand he saidbasicaly that the intercooler pipe is begining to crack at the point where it is attached to the block and that it will eventualy fail and need replacing.
Upon faliure there will be a lot of black smoke and a loss of power.
So i have enquired to the cost and am awaiting a reply.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
All diesels will `smoke` ,I know mine does but much less since I started adding a measure of Millers before each fill up.
MM

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
A little blue grey smoke at idle and a small amount of grey smoke at start up while the atomisation process gets going properly and I supose some grey / black smoke if you are overly agressive with the right foot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts