C-Max Owners Club banner

engine cover

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  marshal 
#1 ·
what is the engine cover for, and is it needed? my 1.6 tdci has not got one

See less See more
#5 ·
lazyb said:
Hi Jam , diesels are notoriously slow to warm up in winter my 2.o tdci is the same about 10 mins before fully warm. Previous Ford Galaxy using the vw pd diesel engine was the same if not worse.
Agree with that

I know that diesels have improved but I still like to start her up and let her idle for a few minutes before setting off, gives the engine time to settle in

#6 ·
Yep,let it warm up before giving it full`beans`.As diesel is an oil based fuel it does take a while to warm up & get viscous (runny).Once up to temp it`s great & as it`s oil,it lubricates the engine internals at the same time,unlike a petrol.so preventing too much wear & tear

#7 ·
MetalMicky08 said:
Yep,let it warm up before giving it full`beans`.As diesel is an oil based fuel it does take a while to warm up & get viscous (runny).Once up to temp it`s great & as it`s oil,it lubricates the engine internals at the same time,unlike a petrol.so preventing too much wear & tear
Also it stops your teeth chattering from the cold

#10 ·
did you have the air con on cold. All i can suggest is that the volume of hot as wasnt as great and the car retained most of the hot air instead of blowing it out and warmed up quicker.

Im a builder and going out to work at silly o clock only to find its been so cold windscreen frozen both sides.I have to balance the heater with letting the car warm up as i have noticed that depending on where your driving ie down motorway straight away or country lanes taking longer to warm up than motor way if i dont let car warm up a bit then the hot air being blown out the heaters takes the engine temp down. Taking longer for the car to heat up.

Last week when wife took car to work she said it was blowing out cold air on hot and then hot on then off and so on. I checked the expansion tank only to find that the coolant was right out and thoughtdam got a burst pipe or leak something along that line. So filled it up and renewed coolant anti freeze for now and went through the motions of setting it up and how to do it yesterday. It now warms up quicker and heating is very hot cant hold your hand in front of fan too long. But then the altenator and battery went that night. Yet another problem fixed but another soon came along.

ford say to have a 50 50 mix so 50 percent water and 50 percent coolant anti freeze but in there cleverness didnt say what was the volume of liquid in the system any one know this in order for me to do it again once i know the coolant is not leaking and held up. I will also flush system out while there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.