C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago I had a new fan fitted as the old one was not working especially when the air con was used.Today I had a new air concondenser fitted & was told the fan did not work.I phoning the sparkie 1st thing Monday.
But,when checking the original fan,there was no relay in the engine fuse box & when the new one was fitted it was tested for over an hour & it worked fine (still no relay).
Please can someone with a 53 plate 2004 reg 2.0TDCI have a look at their fuse box to see if you have a relay.
On the box cover,it shows a relay R12 but there are NO contacts there.
Cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The control unit for the engine cooling fan is on the back of the fan cowling
according to the TIS It appears to be item A118
If you look at the wiring diagrams under engine cooling 2L diesel with air conn you should find it. It should be page 303-03D-00-000
I can PM you a PDF of the view if you want

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes please Richard,I`m having loads of probs with this.Even fraud say it`s one type of fan,yet when I ordered the new one it`s the same as I had before.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I meant was,the parts system shows one type of fan (the wrong one) but they send the correct one.
I have been told not to use the air con now (fixed) without the fan working as the a/c unit would over heat,even when the car is moving.Something to do with the pressure
Apparently there was a relay that had come loose under the fan & when connected,still nothing.
The a/c unit keeps trying to start the fan as we hear it activating (clicking).
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I think I've managed to solve the missing relay problem
It appears that it is only for the 1.6 engine and is also identified as K45 on the wiring diagrams. Just about all the other engine variants have the controls on the back of the fan cowl

The fluid in the air conn unit is at above atmospheric pressure as normal andincreases its pressure as it transfers heat from the air which is why the operating system works on a pressure switch. It's also why there is a low pressure switch as a safety measure to prevent the system operating if there is no fluid in the system

If the relay is clicking then the problem is likely to bepower (or earth)connection to the motor itself, the wiring inside the motor or the motor has mechanically seized

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pm Richard.I`m ringing my sparkie in the morning.
The cooling fan works (it`s brand new),it just does not kick in when the a/c is put on.
I`ll let you know how I get on
Thanks again
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Mike

Find the engine coolant sensor and short that out and see if the fan works then. This and the air conn are in parrell. If this doesn't work then the fan despite being new is at fault in some way

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We did order a sensor,but sent it back as it was not needed.I rekon when he fitted the fan & tried it,as the a/c was not working at the time,he thought the sensor was not needed cos it was working for the engine & not both.Does that make sense?I think I know where he went wrong & you are correct about the sensor.He`s coming over @ 10am & I know fraud have the sensor in stock.
Thanks again for all your help.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is turning nasty,the electrician spent all,morning testing and checking systems & now he needs to go further into the electrics.He thinks it` could be a worn/broken wire or a fault in the ecu.If it`s the latter then a new one is needed
I`ve told him I want the car back by Sat as were off on our hols.At least I`ve got back up for a couple of days (Merc A-Class) but I definately want to have the C-Max to go away in as it`s far more spacious & comfortable.
MM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts