C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On page 205 of the Ford Owners manual for my 2013 Energi. It says," do not use an extension cord". When charging the High voltage battery. With the 120 V convenience cord.

The only way to charge my Energi.today. Short of some sort of solar power generator, is to use one.The set up is from a dedicated outlet. At my back door. @25 feet. Along a commercial grade,3 prong, internally grounded extension cord. With new end connections. Out to the convenience cord. Not much of a voltage drop at all.

Has been working well. Just happened to read the "no extension cord" provision.In the owners manual the other day. And am wondering what risk I take using it,today. And,,, what risk management factors should be considered? If any. Thanks for your time. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some thought. Have decided,the first step. To mitigate the risk of an exposed power cord. Will be encasing the cord in PVC conduit. Then, either burying the conduit . Or securely attaching it to some infrastructural support. Or some of both. It's only a short distance. Through some, very rarely traversed ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My second,risk, mitigation step. Have secured the dedicated outlet. As per FORD owner's manual instructions. Wasn't too difficult. Simply re-configured the existing outlet. So that one of the outlets is disabled. Can always be ,easily re-configured back. Anytime in the future. Should the property manager(s) so desire. That is,,unless people stop making the standard electrical outlet. But;relistically, don't see that being a risk taking reality. Any time soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts