C-Max Owners Club banner

egr valve location cleaning etc 1.6tdci??

15K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  kamlesh 
#1 ·
hello everybody - newbie here. i just bought my first ford a c-max 0 4plate 66k cvt 1.6 auto (109bhp) and noticed hesitiation/poor mpg (doing 37mpg but using £10 of fuel i get only 70 miles urban where as my 130bhp bora tdi 1.9 tiptronic was getting 80miles and my 2.0 auto mazda 6 lpg was getting 125 miles) the car hesitates at around 2k revs then thick smoke chugs out and a noticable power loss and turbo lag in low revs. ive looked at the air intak and there was alot of black oil in there with some of it seeping into the air filter and blackening that too - so i cleaned out the air filter and housing ans intakes which didnt make any difference so im wondering if any one a) can tell me exactly were to locate the egr valve. b) has anyone cleaned one before c) has anyone got any pictures they could send me of the look/location and process of taking one off to clean? please help guys (uk989@hotmail.com)

#2 ·
I had my EGR valve replaced on my c max yesterday.

I asked if it was an easy jod to do and the mechanic at ford told me it was a
to change.

He told me it was at the back of the engine.

I dont know alot about cars but i know people that do so I was asking himto see if a mate of mine would be able to do it rather than me take it to the dealer.

I decided in the end to let my local dealer do it and it cost me £213.

#3 ·
wow!!, ive had a look at the ford Tis (technical manuel) and yes its at the back of the engine block just behind and below the fuel filter area. the agr tube goes into it. copies the diagrams and even took some pics of it and it looks like it can be cleaned. looks like you have to undo the agr tube from the top, middle and where it connects to the egr stepper motor/valve body then undo and remove the egr from under the engine ie on ramps possibly). there is a valve inside that sticks and causes all sorts of issues.

#6 ·
I replaced the EGR in my 2.0 TDCI last week (well dealer did) for £309.
Symptoms are loss of power (ie,no turbo) and lack of revs.Also egine warning light stays on.Had mine diagnosed by auto electrician as egr valve, he also said the turbo solenoid valve could cause the same problems.Mine was the egr.I tried to get it done at an independant garage but they could not do it as the car needed to be reprogrammed after new valve fitted.
I don`t think Petrol C-Max need reprogramming but diesels do as it`s something to do with the turbo sensor management.
MM

#8 ·
Hi by lawe - any way you can post the link on how to the clean as ive looked everywere n still cant find- ive got pictures of the valve and some tech diagrams but dont know how to upload them here (unless somewone can give me a run through) - seems to me if owners knew how to do it themselves we would not only save money but be able to contribute more to these forums.

#10 ·
low mpg and smoke as well as problems accelerating are also symptoms of egr and most modern diesels suffer fromcarbon cloging up the egr- i had a bora tdi 130tip and did the egr on that and worked a treat after due torestricted airflow becouse of the carbon build up and also the valve was sticking. i just today completed a clean of the whole egr assembly and took pictures of the procdure if anyone wants it. wastnt to much of a problem (only the egr tube clip was a problem that i solved with a different type of clip) the rest was quite straight forward. oh i only get the smoke when town driving at around 2k sometimesthe carhesitates &feels like its holding back then as it finds its acceleration it puffs out smoke but is ok after that - its intermittens so thought it might be the egr valve sticking (you gotta rule out the possibilities one at a time) . if anyone can tell me how to post pics up on the forum ill be happy to do so.

#13 ·
kamlesh said:
Hi by lawe - any way you can post the link on how to the clean as ive looked everywere n still cant find- ive got pictures of the valve and some tech diagrams but dont know how to upload them here (unless somewone can give me a run through) - seems to me if owners knew how to do it themselves we would not only save money but be able to contribute more to these forums.
Post here which includes the trouble I had!: http://cmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1698&KW=EGR+cleaner&PID=23241#23241

#15 ·
it is in a tricky position but u can get to it - i didnt find as much soot as i expected - took the car for a run on the motorway from london to luton and did 50 mpg - so on long runs i guess its good (dont know if the egr has helped but its better mpg than i was initially getting but could just be in my head) but not so good on shorter runs - ill keep checking the mpg tho. lawe thanks for the link - no pics? itried having a look at the pipe running from the turbo along the left and round and down to the right of the rad i sprayed some washing up liquide to see of it bubbled up when revved buy didnt notice anything - as it is a tight squess in there where the clip is .

#16 ·
uploading now to a host server 4 u guys but can somewone download and upload here as it wond be on the server for long (i need space) and eventually the pic links will be dead unless somwone can upload - i think its worth the effort i went to to get it for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.