C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching through google pages about different ways to disable egr valves. I know that on the BMW engine used in the Rover 75 and freelanders, and also the Ford Tdci engine that is in the mk3 mondeos and jags, there are EGR bypass valves which allow you to remove the EGR valve completely which is great for those cars and they are able to do that because the EGR works off of a vacuum, unlike the C-Max which is electronic, so they can be removed without the engine management light coming on, and most people who have done this mod say that the car feels so much better for doing it.
The trouble is the C-max has an electric egr valve, so removing it caused the engine management light to come on because the car thinks there is a problem. This is when i came across the vauxhall owners club, and they too have an electronic egr, but they make a blanking plate to stop the exhaust gas getting to the egr an going straight out of the exhaust, and according their members this is an official modification from vauxhall for people whos cars have a faulty egr.
So fitting a blanking plate allows the car to think that the egr is still doing its job, but really its doing nothing.
So i am going to look into fitting a blanking plate on my 2.0 tdci, because this will make the car run smoother, and will also save me on the cost of having to replace my egr in the future.
Can anyone see any reason why this shouldnt/couldnt be done.
As far as MOT emmisions people that have removed/disabled their egr haven't had a problem with their MOT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
isnt the point of an egr valve to reuse exhaust gases as a coolant in the combustion process and blanking it will cause an emissions failure on the mot?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
As very little EGR is done at idle (or only just above)when they test the emissions it may not
Apparently there is rumour that Vauxhall have an official mod of this sought though not confirmed

·
Registered
9 Posts
When my 2.0 left me stranded in Tesco carpark due to EGR failure I looked at ways to fix it cheaply. First up I made a plate and blanked it off which got the car going again. It felt much better to drive but kept turning the engine light on due to high voltage on egr circuit which I put down to it being dirty and sticking.
I then took the valve off and cleaned the unit and put it back on. That was 10000 miles ago and it has performed as it should since.
I will one day get around to refitting the blanking plate as the engine definately runs smoother and cleaner with the valve disabled. Every diesel car I have owned has had this mod and they all have benefitted from it. Google it however and you will get both sides to the story.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Aint it posible to mesure the resistance in the egr valve and put in av resistor in the circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well after I wrote my last post I decided to put the blanking plate back on. Trouble is it now keeps throwing up fault code P0490 which is "EGR control circuit high"
The car drives fine, black smoke is reduced and it feels a bit perkier with the valve blanked off but does anyonehave any ideas how to get round this fault code problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts