C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Our motor has had a intermittent battery draining problem forfew months now. It is completely random and can happen over as little as two nights.

I had the alternator output checked and that is fine, the battery is only 18 months old and the supplier assures me that he doesn't get problems with these items, he really did sound genuine, very helpful chap!

Last Saturday night I locked the car to notice that the dashboardLCD display and the clock display on the Sony radio were still illuminated. I unlocked and locked the car again and they did not extinguish. I said tothe missus that if the battery was dead on Monday morning, I think I might know whats causing it, sure enough it was dead.

The question is, could these two displys remaining on conceivably drain an 18 month old62Ah battery in 36 hours?? If so, has anyone experienced this before and/or know what could be causing the problem?

I haven't had time to do any troubleshooting on it myself yet as I've been working, next opporunity will be Wednesday.

Your input is much appreciated!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI JUST READ YOUR ARTICLE AND I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR ABOUT 6MONTHS SINCE THEN I HAVE CHANGED THE BATTERY THE ALTERNATOR AND THE GLOW PLUG RELAY AND UNFORTUNATELY ITS STILL AS YOU SAID RANDOMLY GOING FLAT I NOW CARRY A SPARE BATTERY IN THE CAR AS I KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN BUT DON'T KNOW WHEN..THE LAST TIME IT WENT FLAT WAS 1MONTH AGO...

It seems i will have to take the car to Fords and see what they say just hope the answer isn't going to be "can't find anything wrong with your car sir".. not a happy c-max owner
regars Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cmax TDCI 06, bougHt secound hand 6 weeks ago

Battery run falt in first week leaving me stranded., GaragE where i bought it said was alternator and replaced it free of charge. Last night and all day todaythe dashboard & Radi light remained on. Now worried I have same problem as stated above ... will this in fact drain the battery. AS its 3 years old could it be the software bug. Can someone direct me to the actual service bultin, AND WOULD A MAIN DEALER NOW TOUCH IT NOWS ITS 3 YEARS OLD.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Dash & radio light stay on for approx 2mins then go out.
A dealer would check it for you ,but charge you & if there is an update again they`d charge.
MM
Hi & welcome by the way

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi did you fix the problem with the battery drain on your vehicle...because the symptoms that you mention were exactly like the ones i was having,,just wondering if you sorted it out, regards neo(nick)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guy, sorry I've been dormant for a while, life has been very busy with many other things!

Since I wrote the initial post we have only experienced the drained battery once and it had been left about 8 days as we had been on holiday in the Mondeo. It has generally been dead after being left for some time, but it did happpen after just 36 hours which prompted the first post.
Unfortunately it is an intermittent fault and we don't have time to wait by the car and time how long it takes each time to verify my theory, but the fact that this TSB exists implies there is a problem somewhere.

As it hadn't happened I haven't taken it in at all. At the moment we are going through the busy & stressful process of moving house, but when I do get some more time, I'll try and get it into Ford to ask about this TSB.

To be honest I haven't timed the lights to see how long they normally stay on for, will try to when off shift later in the week.

Gepard, just to give us some more confidence there is a fix and to
possibly save some cash on fault diagnosis, can you tell us any more
about the Bulletin? How you know it exists, what the exact problem it
is supposed to address and maybe where to find it..? Thanks for your
help!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello steve,, I was wondering if you had sorted out your car because i beleive i had the same problem, (the car was going flat at random, once it took about a month to go dead another time it took two months to die on me )and after replacing the alternator, battery and glow plug relay at a cost of aprox £300 i decided to take the car to fords.. after three days they informed me it was a pcm problem(power control module) and itaffected cars betweem03 and 04 plates. The good news is very few cars suffer from this problem very few. I dont know if your car is one of these cars but If it is the cost of replacing a pcm is about £800-£1000 aprox... There is another way round it but it would involve fitting a switch to your car, and switching of the power supply to a relay when you keyed off at night.

The technical term he said is when you key off the car runs a self clean of the EGR valve(aprox 10 sec)with my car once cleaning the EGR valve the battery drain stayed on and thats when the carsbattery would go flat.
I also asked the electrician that did my car how long the lights stay on the dash and clock when closing the car and he said aprox 20 minutes. So its normal for the lights to stay on for a while.
I also asked for a TSB update but there wasn't one for my car and they charged me £49.00
Hope all this helps regards Nick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Nick, that all sounds quite daunting!
Hopefully with ours being a 54 plate we are unaffected by this one. I shall have to get around to getting it in and find out...!

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi, is your car going flat as well, if it is, it could be the pcm (power control module) expensive.. there is a way you can check it, orfor a quick fixtry removing a relay and replacing it every time you key off at night and see if that helps.. if you need any more information don't hesitate to ask,,this forum has helped me quite a few times.

P.S this problemseems to effect cars with regestrations of 03 - 54 plates.

regars neo

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 C-Max. For nearly 2 years I have had this problem. I believe I know about it really well. Firstly, the display and clock remain on after the car has been locked for between 10 - 12 minutes. I think it is ridiculous to design a car where the lights stay on for this amount of time - what is the point?
Anyway, I have had to call the RAC out on a number of occasions. I cannot leave the car outside without going back to check on in 12 minutes later to check the lights have gone off.
it has now got to the point where NOT locking the wheel makes it more likely for the display to go off BUT NOT ALWAYS.
it has been to ford 3 times - had diagnostic tests, been left there all day twice and they cannot find a fault with it.
It spoils the fact that other then that, I love the car - but it is so unreliable. there are times when i can't wait around to see if it goes off - and then i always have this worry about whether or not it's gonna start up again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd forgotten all about posting this on here, haven't been on here for a while until the email came through about your post LorryJ!

The latest on my fault...

It had still been happening on and off every month or two, could have been left for a day or two but not very long. One time it happened to fail just when theMondeo's battery died as well, so we were stranded for a while until the AA came to help. Put the CMax in the local garage for a few days worth of troubleshooting, of course it didn't recur for them to diagnose!

The Mrs claimed that late at night she could still see the clock illuminated on the stereo.......I should note at this stage that we have the Sony 6 disc changer fitted..............so although I didn't think it would make a difference, I removed the stereo.

I did this a couple of days before going on holiday in the Mondeo for a week and the CMax was not used for a good 9-10 days.......sure enough on return it started without fault!

So ours seems to be the stereo. It has now been removed for 2 months and no battery drain issues.

Be interesting to know which stereo's all the other cars have?

Back in June the alternator did actually fail, and replacement was hoped to fix it, but alas no. So don't change that as a precaution until you have eliminated the stereo.

Hope this helps...
Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
yep thanks for that...i think its probably a combination of alternator and a battery drain somewere..thanks for the reply all the best nick...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I've been reading the above posts and am in some desperate need of advice!?
I've had my car now for 1 year. Its never started immediately, always taken a few attempts. Under warrenty I took the car back to the garage and had all the glo plugs changed. Fault still persisted so had a new battery. Car then out of warrenty and still doesn't start first time.

Since August the battery is discharging! Works great when I get the car 'jumped' by my neighbour but am sitting here knowing that when I go to get in the car it won't start!!

At best a fully charged battery is lasting me 1 week! and I've had enough. It has now been to 3 garages and I've been told there is nothing wrong with the car - thats because when they get the car the battery is charged. I only potter round locally but have been told to do longer journeys - it seems the further I go the quicker the battery dies. I've had a full electrical test done, alternator checked and pump checked and all fine! Something in the car is draining my battery and have spent so much on having it looked at taking it to my ford dealer fills me with dread. I'm avoiding using anything in the car to save on battery! oh, and my clock has never worked right! could this be the radio? its the original? Someone mentioned the PCM - ouch! it's near christmas and can't afford this?

ANY advice would be VERY, VERY much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts