C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My wife came to the car this morning,an old shape 05 16 petrol cmax,17,000 miles.the blipper key did nothing,the car opened manually but all the electrics seemed dead,no blower,hazards,radio dashboard speedo reading,nothing.
i hooked up my van,used jump leads (connected negative to the bulkhead not battery btw) and it started altho a bit slow on the starter motor.took it for a quick 1/2 mile run and all seems ok now

would it be a dying battery or an earth/electrical fault, the car had been used the previous day without a problem.

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
IMHO seeing that the miles are low, I would say it's one of three things:

1. Battery not having chance to recharge properly i.e short distance use of the car
2. Battery has died
3. Alternator not charging

I would see if you can borrow or buy a Battery & Alternator tester (Around £10 - I bought one from Lidl! Here is aLINK to one at Screwfix) and see if the alternator is charging. If it's charging the perhaps then give the battery a full charge with a battery charger and see if that holds or for piece of mind,buy a new battery.
As long as you don't vist Halfords for a battery, you can pick one up foraround £40 from Euro Car Parts (Part Number: 444770751 if using Euro Car Parts - www.eurocarparts.com)

HTH
Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ruled out the alternator as on previous fords(company light vans spanning 20 years)the battery light would come on (faintly) when this was the cause,although i could be wrong and note your suggestion.
indicator on top of the battery ? i will remove the cover in the morning and see if i can see what you mean.

thanks for the replies,i will let you know how i progress in due course

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I ordered a duel tester from Scewfix for £14 inc delivery.Should get it Tuesday.
I`ve got a battery tester already but it`s built into my charger so now I can test both without having to plug anything into the mains ( apart from Mother-in-laws chair
).
MM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had the battery tested on friday and it was pronounced good,recieving and holding charge,was told i could have a faulty diode in the alternator,this is i believe something that only allows current to pass one way on the circuit.
the car has been fine since taking it for a 1/2 hour motorway run,it just seems odd that in the space of 12-14 hours or so it went from ok to completley flat that even the radio had lost its code.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wait til it gets dark. start the engine and switch the headlights on. Then switch evrything on and I mean everything and see if the headlights dim significantly. If they do, your alternaotor may not be pushing out what it should!

I had a similar problem on an old Dawoo a few years ago. The diode pack in the alternator started to die. I got no warning light to say the battery wasn't charging but driving home late one night in the rain I noticed the wipers were very slow and the headlights were like 2 candles!

Me being a skin-flint refused to pay the £385 for a "slightly different than a Cavalier" alternator paid, £25 for a new diode pack, spent an evening with it in bits, soldered the new pack in place and ran the car for another 5 years with no problem!

Edited by: Wiggy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts