C-Max Owners Club banner

Back pain

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  maccyski 
#1 ·
Have had my 2005 C MAX TDI Ghia since Febuary 2009,28000 mileson clock. Now while Iam very pleased with this cars performance, I am not sure about its comfort.

Since first driving the car,Ihave been suffering with pain at the top of the spine.Have had the seat up,down,back,forwards. Thestearing wheel in and out,up and down,all to no effect. The back pain gets no better and on long trips is quite debilitating.

My last car was a Mazda Premacy and I had it for eight years,it was like a pair of old slippers and could drive it all day in total comfort.

Has anyone out there had this trouble and if so how did they cure it, Its so bad now that Iam considering getting shut of the car.Could a shuntand a misalignment that it may of had cause it?
Pursuer49

#2 ·
Hello pursuer, and welcome.

I'm the very opposite, I'm afraid. I suffer from pain at the bottom of my back, but I can sympathise completely. However, I have to say that the the most comfortable place for me to be is my Cmax, odd though that will sound to you. I know that I eventually found driving old SAABs particularly difficult because the pedals seemed to me to be badly offset to the left, but the Cmax honestly seems much more comfortable to me, and to the degree that I get no pain whatsoever when I drive it. Backs are nortiously fickle and mine gets put out by the oddest things, like sleeping in a different bed, for example.

Do you get your problem if you are not driving the car, but just sitting in the passenger seat? Are you pained doing anything outside of the car?

#5 ·
As the only driver in the house, Ihave never sat in the passenger seat, so am unable answer that one,but I know one thing, its getting worse!!
Iam afraid I havebought a ringer and the Geometry of the car is out of line or something like that. I have been driving for forty years plus, all kinds of cars ,vans etc and never had anything like this.

#6 ·
Bought a ringer? That's very unlikely, me thinks. Much more likely, as was [is] the case with me is that something has gone slightly off with your back long ago and that it is your posture whilst driving your car aggravates it. I doubt that your car is actually the cause of the problem. Obviously it is your driving position which triggers the pain and, since the top of your neck is not in contact with the seat, the problem is probably something to do with your lower back and the position of your legs whilst driving. My difficulties were actually caused by something so far back that I can't remember it. Almost everybody has 'bad posture' and therefore a 'bad back', but are fortunate enough never to experience any pain because of it.

I know from my own experience over the years that almost everything ache and pain wise seems to be because of a slight misalignment of the spine, which goes completely unoticed in everyday life until something new comes along that triggers pain. In actual fact, almost all cars with a clutch pedal are 'misaligned' for real comfort, since the break pedal in always set too far to the left. Nevertheless, the Cmax, in this respect, is at least as good or better than most. Believe me, I know.

Anyway, first, I would check if you have a complete car, just to put that 'ringer' idea to bed. The AA or RAC will do that for you from the comfort of your PC. Second, find a good, qualified Osty and tell him/her your problem and exactly where it hurts when you drive. Before you go get someone to put a sticking plaster on exactly where the pain is. It is suprising how effective a couple of sessions of back manipulation is. If the Osty find the spot, or which disc is slightly out, it will hurt like hell for a few hours, but the relief after that is pure bliss, and the treatment is much cheaper than buying another motor.

Please let us know how you get on.

Edited by: romseyraver

#8 ·
I wouldnt bother with Osty, id go to a chiropractor.
Ive had back problems since the age of 13. Ive tried many forms of treatment, including Osteopathy, physio, and even Acupunture. but finally after 11 years of Back pain, Chiropractic has found the problem. im so impressed that i have decided to go back to Uni to become a Chiro.

With regards to driving, as romseyraver said, it must be your sitting posture. I was told to raise my seat so that my knees were slightly below my pelvis. Also make sure your seat is close enough so when you press the Clutch (assuming you have one) your pelvis doesnt move too much.

If you have neck pain, this can be caused through strain in your arms, so maybe its something to do with changing gear or holding steering wheel. Are you sitting too close so that your arms are at a 90degree angle or more? or too far back so that your arms are dead-straight and you have to lean forward slightly to change gear.

I had terrible back pain after driving my previous car (a Citroen Saxo) and that was caused by me being 6ft 1" and the gearstick was too far away, so i was moving my whole body to put car in 1st, 3rd and 5th gear! But the Cmax has the perfect gearbox position. so its down to your postion. it maybe that you where sitting incorrectly in your previous car and got use to it.

Matt.

#9 ·
sorry to join this after you've almost solved it
Could the position of the gearchange be affecting things or does it get worse with the number of gear chages
I have a colleague at work that can't drive vaulhalls for this reason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.