C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two episodes of brake failure (later diagnosed as the vacumm pump valve) I was relieved to find out today that the part is only £35.
However, you can imagine my horror when I was then told that the central locking fault (that developed the day after) is probably the GEM (generic electronic module) at £418!

With only the driver's door and boot able to be opened by key or remote this is not good!

This 60k, 53 platecar will have cost me more than £800 (without servicing) in about 6 months. Terrible!

Anyone got any suggestions on things to try with the central locking, I intend to pull it out the dealers and investigate the fault myself, maybe a second hand GEM. Any ideas / advice?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Not certain that the GEM isn't vehicle (each)specific

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked car up today, they charged me £97 to tell me it might be the GEM module. Rip off!

My investigation started straight-away and I flicked the driver's door lock on and off as I drove. After about 20 flicks all door locks opened! So amazed, I stopped and opened the passenger door!

I then shut them and locked it but that was the end of that - I've not managed to repeat this feat!

I think this suggests a more localised problem with the switch/sender/opening mechanism in the doors (probably driver's). Does anyone have any experience of this please!

Alternaitvely does anyone have an explodeddrawing of how to get to the locking mechanim on the door?

Any help please! I'm not ready to shell out for a GEM yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately the two button press did not work. So, if you are able to help further this would be much appreciated as I cannot afford to take back to Inchape Ford Bracknell .

I must add that recently I have been using the key in the door rather than the remote to lock and unlock the door as we only had one remote (I have since programmed my old mondeoremote to the c-max).

And, today I noticed that after two clockwise turns of the key the lights do not flash, the driver's door door doesnot deadlock (but does lock)and the indicators do not double flash as they once did.

I believe that this suggests a faulty switch (don't know which one) in the driver's door. Does anyone elseshare the same opinion? I'm going to try shoving some WD40 direct into the lock tomorrow.

I am willing to try any suggestions. Please help.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I;m not sure I agree per the following
both the key in the lock and the remote control operate and achieve the same locking operation
If the key turned once in the lock locks the door then I suspect the door switch is working. It would suggest the problem is with whatever recognises the second succesive key operation

I;ll have a see what the wiring diagram suggests the lock switch connects to

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried locking with the key again. The driver's door locks but no flashing lights and no noise from elsewhere.The fuel cap and boot remain unlocked. With thedriver's doorunlocked (using the remote)I then reached though the window to lock from the inside driver's door. this gave same resultsfuel /boot remain unlocked.
So, in summary,

only driver's doorunlocks by key or remote

locking with key (or interior lever) does not lock boot and fuel

locking with remote does lock all doors& fuel &boot (all door lock mechanism can be heard clunking)

Would anyone out there (is there anyone out there?) agree thisa switch in the driver's doormust befaulty? I'm assuming that if the driver's door is not signalling that it is open, then all other doors remain locked. However, this assumes that the driver's door 'locked' signalcan beoverridden by the remote as it does not seem to be possible with the door lock itself. (I hope this makes sense).

I'm not giving up yet!

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI mate iv had this problem before,all door lock mechanism can be heard clunking,but no flashing lights,so i investegated,and found that the boot was not shuting properly,due to somthing in the way,so went round all the doors shutting them,and aprestow the car locked and unlocked.
hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
With the ignition on can you get the door open warning on the dash to come on when you open each door and the tailgate in turn and just as and additional check does it stay on if you open more than one at the same time

What happens if you use the internal door lock switch on the front passenger door also
There is a fuse in the supply to the lock relays but if the remote is operating proprly them I'm presently not certain

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmm.

The boot used to open and close properly. I am sure it was closed and light was off during my ealier trials. The strange thing now is that the indicators no longer flash (any ideas what fuse) and the boot only open on the key (not remote).

Things seem to be getting worse not betterr soI am beginning to give up.

ps> door open warning does workon driver's door only (this is only doorI can get open).

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Does the passenger door button operate in any form either to lock or unlock any of the doors?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only locks and unlocks driver's door.

Currently have the fuse board on my kitchen side stripping out and checking fuses!

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Richard G said:
Does the passenger door button operate in any form either to lock or unlock any of the doors?
saint.vince said:
Only locks and unlocks driver's door.

Currently have the fuse board on my kitchen side stripping out and checking fuses!

The passenger door button unlocks the drivers door?

The earth return from the first stage door motor for the drivers door is seperate to that for the other three doors on the CJB which having done some checking of the wiring diagram is why I was asking. I'm coming to the same thought about a loose wire but it is trying to work out which given the known opertions

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry! No passenger door levels are locked position and do nothing if you pull them.

I really appreciate all your efforts. I have now got my hands on a TIS and am sifting through that but nothing stands out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fuse box back in. No indicators were working so looked on TIS to see that Fuse 72 is required(the handbook suggests that F72 is not used). Once fuse fitted indicators worked again.

However, door locks still not working

1 - 20 of 47 Posts