C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help- Ford C-MAX TDi 1.6 experiencing a noise during acceration. It only happens when we accelerate mid - hard. Its kind of a whistling/whoosing sound which seems to be coming from the drivers side of teh engine. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Is there a particular engine rev range or a particular gear when it happens

What sort of mileage have you done

Our 1.6 did give something like an air resonance not at around 2500 RPM but it now has stopped with a few more 000.s miles on the clock. Not sure what it was in the first instance though

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Could be either the turbo or the intercooler,but it does sound like the turbo if it`s a whistling sound.Can you hear it if you get someone to rev the car while you stand in front?
And,NO,I don`t mean you sit on the engine & have someone else drive the car (fun,but you might get warm ).
MM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that is what somebody else has said- Turbo...
I'm thinking thats going to be expensive..I've booked it in next week...If it is that would that be unusual for a car of 36,000 miles only 3.5 years old?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(and no, i don't think it does make the sound unless your driving) It makes the sound at all sppeds just whenever the throttle gets hit mid-hard.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
If it does it at all engine speeds then it could possibly be connected to the injector pump having to work harder

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi i've also had a strange noise since i bought my 1.6 tdci over a year ago. It sounds just like a stick rubbing against a bicycle wheel - same symptoms as yours by the sounds of it .I went from garage to garage without any joy .They all said it needs attention but no-one could give a cause.1 yr later its still going strong - i,ve learnt to live with it .Its certainly no worse -i,m still delighted with the car !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds like turbo to me. Is it giving you any "lose of power" issues? Is it very noisey or just a low whistle sound when you accelerate?

Dav.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts