C-Max Owners Club banner

A few Q's before I buy

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MetalMicky08 
#1 ·
I'm just baout to buy a focus C-Max 53-55reg

after lookign around I came across this site. anyways I wondered if you could answer the following for me

im not too sure which engine to get 1.6 or 2.0ltr diesel? my driving is mon - Fri 30mins though town (stop start ect..) then at weekends during the summer its not uncomon for me to do 300+ miles lugging a car full of equipment.

on one of the cars I went too see (Zetech 2.0) it had a phone button as part of the stereo. what is this for? I havent been able to find this out searching

my final question for now is what do I need to look out for when buying secondhand 4-5 years old?

many thanks for your time

Edderd

#2 ·
1st of all,welcome to the site
.I bought a 53 plate 2.0 TDCI Zetec in August 07,it had 65000 on the clock but full history (thats a big bonus to have).Check if it`s had a new alternator,if not you could be looking at a bill of £200 +,also check tyre wear & wheel damage.Also black smoke when you rev hard,make sure the pollen filter has been changed too.A big plus is if it`s got a heated windscreen.Check for wear on front discs & pads as well as rear pads too.
I have been very pleased with mine but I did need an alternator not long after I got it,this was due to a badly fitted bluetooth set by previous owner.Over the time I`ve had it I have changed the front pads & discs & front tyres,but these were due to normal wear.I do maily short trips in mine & get about 40/42 round town,although I do have a Tunit power box fitted & a K&N air filter.On a run I have had 55/60 mpg @ 80mph.The 2.0 TDCI is nice for the extra torque it has but be careful in the wet as it can be a handful (unless it`s got the optional traction/stability fitted).
The phone button you mention is if it`s got a phone kit & this button `mutes` the stereo.
I`m sure others will give you pointers too,but all I can say is it`s a great motor with loads of space,pace & comfort.I don`t regret buying mine for one second.In fact I`m looking to get another one so both my wife & I have one.

#3 ·
I agree 100% we absolutely love this car, we bought a 06 2.0 TDCi Ghia in october and except for a slight problem with a leak in the boot we are very happy ( make sure you check the spare wheel well to check its dry).
if you get the chance look out for the ghia,Excellent sony 6 disc changer, heated leather seats, heated windcreen, privacy glass and built in rear window blinds ( excellent if you have small children) and loads more that just makes it a very comfortable car to drive with great handling.

I guess, just chose the right model for you and i'm sure you won't be disapointed.

#6 ·
I have to agree with MetalMicky08 on the EPB as it is a pain in the Ar5e. Mine is only two and half years old.... Done 40K and the EPB has been repaired TWICE.... Luckily both times under warrenty.

Apart from that its a great car.... Oh mines a 2 litre petrol (but sometimes I do wish I'd gone for the diesel...

#13 ·
Thanks guys I went and picked up a nice black 2005 54plate 2.0l zetech

first anoyance is I didnt get a owners manual any ideas where I can get a copy (download maybe?)

also the trip computer is in km not MPH and me being old school would like to change it to MPH any ideas how I change it ?

once again Thanks for your advice

Edders

#14 ·
edders said:
Thanks guys I went and picked up a nice black 2005 54plate 2.0l zetech

first anoyance is I didnt get a owners manual any ideas where I can get a copy (download maybe?)

also the trip computer is in km not MPH and me being old school would like to change it to MPH any ideas how I change it ?

once again Thanks for your advice

Edders
One of the members here, SteMax, has made the manual available to downloadclick here.
It will also tell you how to change the set up on the dash so that it reads english ie MPH!Edited by: lawe

#15 ·
I think a big vote of thanks goes to SteMax for making the manual available to everyone.
Even though I have a 53 plate C-Max and the correct manual for it,I have printed this one out as there are several things which apply to mine and are not in the `old` manual.
Thanks SteMax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.