C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive bought a new bulb but cannot get at the headlight to replace the dipped bulb on the drivers side
it is a 2008 diesel c-max zetec
help please

·
Registered
133 Posts
not sure if im right, but when i was looking at info on the net before i bought mine, somewhere it said that it is a dealer job, not sure that is true, but it may require you to remove the headlight assembly to be able to remove the bulb.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Does the owners manual mention how to get at it?

I only ask as the Mk1 version, you have a plastic tab that you need to depress with a long implement like a flat head screwdriver which in turn releases the headlight out of the body work and you can change the bulb.
Not sure how the Mk2 is changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick response its much appreciated
unfortunately i dont have the owner manual
i did get the last one changed by the dealer cost £25
every other car ive had its been easy so i just thought i must be missing something obvious with this one

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I changed both dipped & main bulbs on both headlights on my 53 plate Zetec some time ago.It took me 1/2 to figure out how to get the unit out,there are grey plastic clips on the top which need to be pushed down.DO NOT TURN THE YELLOW TOREX SCREW.Then I had to wiggle the unit about a little (not too hard) & it can out enough for me to be able to undo the metal retaining clips that keep the bulb holder in place against the unit,then just a case of swapping bulbs.Refitting was the reverse.The other side was a doddle cos I`d made the mistakes on the first one.
The yellow Screws are used to adjust the beam hight & left to right setting.A bugger to reset if you turn in either direction by mistake
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for that but there is a metal support gehind the light which makes it impossible to remove
its obviously changed

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
If there is a metal support behind the light then it hasn't changed from the early version
you have to get between the back of the lamp body and the metalwork I can't remember if I used a thin 12" ruler or a metal coathanger to press the clips down
or
As I've just discovered there should be room to get your hand round the back of the metalwork and push the clips down with the end of a finger

BUT WHATEVER DO IT VERY GENTLY THEY ARE NOT THAT STRONG

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had trouble with the same thing, on a mkI though, ended up using the other side, without the metal support, as a trial run as there is more room, then once I figured out, took out the trickier side, changed the bulb and replaced both units, good luck

PS I did break the clips underneath but the unit still went back in securely

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I used a combination of a 8inch screw driver & fingers.As Richard says,be careful though.
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks richard and sierragls in particular and everyone else
its done
ever so grateful saved me at least £20

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did my drivers side one yesterday its a 2004 Tdci 2.0, I did break the lower clip same as flicker7 but the unit went back in ok. The top hex screw seems to hold it in very firmly and the bottom clips even if broke still hold it in place.

Ed

·
Registered
63 Posts
I changed my nearside dip bulb today.
The longest job was finding my screwdriver.

Undo single screw on the top, release the 2 clips at the back of the headlight, pull headlight out, remove rubber cover, unclip bulb, replace bulb, rubber cover back on, clip headlight back in place, do screw up.

If it took me 5 minutes I'd be suprised!

08 Plate Titanium

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I know this is a fairly old thread but I am just writing up an article on this topic and wanted to ask for some advice.
In my research of how to change the bulbs on the CMAX I noticed that some models had 1 clip on the bottom and others had 2 clips.
I have assumed that this is because there is a difference between the years, that the mk1 only has 1 lower clip and the mk2 has 2 lower clips.
Can anyone confirm that this is correct, or correct me if I am wrong.
If anyone who has changed these bulbs themselves can tell me what year their cmax is and how many lower clips the headlights had on them.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Our 54 plate ORIGINALLY had two clips but as with everyone else at least one had broken on both units. The front detents and the top retaining screw hold them in position though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts