C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals! Have recently bought a 54 plate 2.0 TDCI Ghia, however for the past week it has been with Ford suffering from an unkown problem?? Have looked around the forum but haven't found anything.

Here are the symptoms!

When pulling away from roundabouts/junctions in first gear, everything starts off fine; however, once out of the junction or onto the roundabout I am suffering a complete power loss. Just a little bit dangerous! This also occaisionaly happens at low revs in second gear. Putting the foot on the clutch and pumping the accelerator a few times brings it back.

Ford still have no idea, they are shying away from suggestions that it is the EGR valve. It's the typicall story that nothing is showing up on computer so they musn't be anything wrong!

Anyone ever had the same, or have any ideas??????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they are aware of the problem as it is happening about 75% of the time, they just have no clue what it is!

When it happens, the revs die to about 800rpm and the accellerator dies completely. When I put the clutch down the revs remain at 800rpm untill I start pumping the gas. It feels like the engine management is kicking in and shutting down everything. It is perfect driving at speed, problem only occurrs when revs are under 1500rpm.

I have had a few diesels in the past so I am used to driving them.

Anyway, theyhave had it for 6 days nowand counting!

Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just replied to this in the other thread but you didnt have the explanation there so ignore what i said. Hmm sounds dangerous to me could be a sensor problem an easy one to check for is the MAF this is in the air intake in front of the engine when disconnected you get similar symptoms though not as pronounced but the engine service light comes on. I forgot to reconnect mine after a service i did last year after reconnection the light goes off after 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I know what has been said by Ford and what I say may not shock you but it sounds so much like the EGR.

I had "power" problems in the past, sometimes like yours, sometimes when trying to start off. Having trawled the net and looked at other forums, the EGR was at fault and well known by Ford as well.
On FFOC forum, there is a large section, with video evidence as well, showing the problems.. i.e foot to the floor but the revs stay at 800 odd no matter how many times you pump and then vroooom off you go.
At some point, Ford redeisgned the EGR for one slightly stronger and also changed the software so that it opens/closes after switching off to try and prevent it sticking (the cause of the problem). It will not show up as a fault hence Ford not finding it.

My CMaxgot to a point whereit failed to start (turned over but notfire up) and I had to call the AA. After a nice chat about the problem, what I had tried and the "known" problem with the EGR and what had been happening before, he went away to the vanand came back with.... A small hammer
Long story short, one small tap on the EGR and she fired up leaving a small black deposit on the drive way.
Since then I have used some EGR cleaner, which I have documented elsewhere on the forum, and a bit of elbow grease and so far.....

What they should be doing is replacing the EGR and should they wonder why, ask them to read here and other Ford Focus Owners Forums for the answers!

PS I also own a 54 2.0 TDCI!Edited by: lawe

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
As to tapping the EGR valve with a hammer I did it several times with a previous Cavalier petrol where the mechanical EGR valve stuck. That and copperslip on the stem eventually fixed it

As to the possible other symptoms that won't show as fault codes how about the boost pressure sensor in the manifold or the turbo "wastegate" opening early or even not fully shutting. I have no idea how you eliminate these unknowns though

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
A PS
As the accelerator is "fly by wire" and works on giving the ECU a voltage that is different to what it has stored for that particular engine speed is there anyway of checking what voltages are?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had this trouble on three occasions, the last being yesterday when I lost all power when trying to get across a junction on the A92 one of Fifes notorious roads, frightened the hell out of my wife and I. Please tell me what is the EGR and where is it, so I can perhaps whack it with a hammer
. At the moment I have lost confidence in an otherwise very good vehicle.
Regards Tony

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Tony,
Follow the chrome/silver pipe that runs to the right of the engine (as you look at it)to the back of the engine. This chrome pipeis attachedto the EGR. A slight tap should knock some crud!
It's this pipe I undid from the EGRand sprayed EGR cleaner into the EGR itself as well as into the Air intake.

Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for that Steve, I will have a look when the rain stops. It is a shame because up until recently we have enjoyed the car, but everytime it has happened a
t a busy junction, after a bit of pumping the accelorator it suddenly clears with a roar and off we go, I,m getting a bit too old for shocks like this, might have to get rid.
Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts