C-Max Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1st and 2nd gear in my 2.0 TDCi Ghia '05 it feels as though it is governed, then when in 3rd and 4th hold onto your hats...should I expect more in the lower gears or are these just for setting off? This is my first time driving a Diesel apart from Tanks many years ago

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maxoby,
You have to get used to driving a diesel differently to a petrol engined car. They are less free revving, and will have engine speed limited to prevent over-revving. Changing gear at far lower revs is a natural part of driving a diesel.

With the 2.0TDCi C-max with 6 speed transmission I find that I can still make rapid progress keeping the revs under 2000. There is so much torque available that, from moving off, I can get into 3rd very quickly and 30 in 5th is not out of the question. I find when driving around I very rarely use 1st or 2nd except when coming to a complete stop.

Also try short shifting, or missing out gears. 1st to 3rd is easily possible if you go over 2000 rpm in 1st when moving off.

Use the low down torque of the engine to change up as soon as possible, with the added benefit of getting more MPG as well.

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Our 1.6 diesel will do 30 in 5th at effectively idle and I agree doesn't need taking above about 2500 to make rapid progress. In setting of from a roundabout I often can be into 3rd before coming off it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for that, I will look forward to adopting this way of driving and get back to you.
Love this site, sold helpful, thanks again to both replies.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I`ve just got back from a second run to Devon in 2 weeks & only used 1st & second as a last resort (apart from just pulling away).Even in some of the narrow lanes I rarely went below 4th.
MM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts