First week of G-CMAX ownership - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

First week of G-CMAX ownership

I've had my Grand C-MAX for just over 1 week and wanted to offer a few observations and hopefully benefit from other people's experiences...
On the whole, I really like this car. It's a 2011 1.6 TDCi Titanium and is probably higher spec'd than any car I've ever owned...there are so many features and helpful gadgets, some of which I was only aware of when I picked it up from the Ford dealer. It's great to drive, very comfortable, excellent driving position and feels nowhere near as big a car as it actually is;the boot is more than adequate and the seats are a doddle to re-organise.

The thing I'd like to get advice about is the fuel consumption. I've scoured this forum and read as many of the MPG related threads as I can (not many for the Grand though) but I still think this is worth putting out there...

My GCM is an ex-demo with 8,400 miles on the clock (and was serviced before I collected it), which I appreciate may not have been done with the best driving style or on long trips, however, I'm getting nowhere near the Ford quoted MPG figures for the same car. Don't get me wrong, I know that the brochure figures can be taken with a bucket of salt but even so, before my first fill-up, I wasn't even averaging 40mpg which is a long way from Ford's 57.7.

On a recent trip back from Northampton (a journey of around 100 miles, virtually all of it motorway) and driving with an extremely light right foot, the trip computer was showing around 49mpg which is great but again, nowhere near the quoted figures. A few short trips later (I drive 2 x 9 mile journeys each day), it's back down to the low forties/high thirties.

I've just filled the tank up for the first time (from pretty much empty) and it cost 80...that sort of money for what looks like it's going to be 400-450 miles to a tank works out almost less than the Mini Cooper S which I've just sold. It's not an exaggeration to say it has me a little concerned...especially as others have posted on the forum that their GCMs are doing mid-high forties MPG around town!

Can anybody offer some hope or advice (apart from the taken-as-red driving style tips, keep between 1,500-2,000 rpm, etc,)? I've noticed that the car takes a long time to warm up and that the temperature needle barely gets to it's normal position before my regular 9 mile journey is complete so maybe this is a factor. Other than that, I really can't think of anything I'm doing wrong or can improve upon (apart from maybe, switching off the climate control which I tend to leave on the lowest fan setting).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Hello George, I have the 2.0ltr GCM power shift, which on paper has lower mpg than full manual. I have filled 7 times (2700 miles) and averaged 44.6 mpg on mainly rural roads ,motorway and up and down the Yorkshire dales. This figure is calculated accurately, the computer suggests a slightly better figure.Have a look here, very interesting real life mpg figures for all the Ford range, you can add your own as well.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ John.

Grand C-Max titanium 2.0 Duratorq PowerShift.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will take a look.

The other thing I've noticed about the trip computer (and this is where my figures are coming from, have yet to do the 'real' miles travelled with actual number of litres put in the tank calculcations) is that even the 'average MPG' updates much quicker than any other car I've owned. My other car, a Renault Megane 1.9 TDCi, has a similar readout which doesn't change as nearly as often as the GCM. Whilst the trip computer in the GCM shows average MPG, hitting the accelerator even slightly, results in this figure going down almost immediately which I find odd and disconcerting.

If, as you say, the trip shows a slightly better figure than is real, I'm more worried than I was.

It's early days yet as, like I say, have only owned it just over a week so will keep my eyes on it and report back at a later date.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM

the Grand C-Max is a heavy beast and mine is showing 10mpg lower than the outgoing C-Max, both with the 1.6 diesel - disappointed? Yes, surprised - no. I have a friend with the 2 ltr diesel - automatic and struggling to make 35mpg.

2011 C-Max Grand
1.6 diesel Manual
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I've now had the GCM about a month...

On the MPG front, it's better than it was. Still haven't done any litre to actual miles travelled calculations but I'm getting mid-forties MPG according to the trip computer. Drove to the West Country last weekend and on the journey back (with a full tank) was getting 48.6mpg and even though it was virtually all motorway with cruise control now and again, I think that's pretty good going. If I'm honest, I'm still pretty put out at how wildy the Ford figures differ from reality but at least this is the sort of fuel consumption I can live with (ie. can afford ).

* Good driving position.
* Very little road noise.
* 'Hill assist' which reduces the need for the handbrake on a hill start.
* Front/rear parking sensors: never had them before and after only a month, am coming to reply
onthem.
* Heated frontwindscreen.
* Ambient lighting and 'puddle' lights.
* Parking ticket holder.

DISLILKES:
* Parking sensor interrupts when using Bluetooth audio.
* Rain sensing wipers (not just on this car though).
* Parking sensor/heated screen controls are difficult to use depending on what gear you're in as
they get obscured by the gear stick. Similar issue with the climate control.
* Climate control temperature knob is too smooth and difficult to grip.
* Front headrests are only adjustable vertically.
* Rear headrests have to be raised significantly otherwise they sit directly between your
shoulder blades.

PROBLEMS:
Knocking noise coming from the B pillar on both sides. Ford dealer had to "adjust the front doors" and it's now *almost* gone. After they'd done this, they told me that it wasn't covered
under the warranty, which I was surprised about. Didn't charge me though, so can't argue.

Squeek coming from the rear seats. Ford dealer had to "lubricate the rear seat runners" and that now seems to have completely disappeared.

A couple of times, I've been unable to open the off-side sliding door, even though it's unlocked. Am putting this down as a one/two-off.

Fan wouldn't shut off after having driven ashort distance, even though the engine wasn't warm and the outside temperature was barely above zero. Had to get in and start the engine, then shut it off before the fan would stop...left it for 10 minutes before doing this and it was still going. Again, putting this down as a one-off but will keep my ears peeled for it happening again.

All in all, still very glad we chose this car.

post #6 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Had mine for a week now.

The bad:
<ul>[*]Very, very sluggish in 1st and Second gear. Seems to be wearing in a bit now and driving better, but intitially had me very concerned.[*]Not sure I like the the gearbox ratios, as 3rd is very easy to bog down, even if you change up at 2000 revs. Power band seems very narrow with a lot of turbo lag. Definitely nowhere near quick as my old 1.8tdci, and that wasn't exactly fast. (Though this is a bigger, heavier car).[*]Rear seats in boot make it very shallow with the tonneau cover. You have to take the cover out to get a decent amount of boot space, thus leaving your boot contents on display.[*]Economy isn't great at the moment 46mpg on average, at around 350miles. A large part of that is motorway miles at 60mph. Hopefully it'll improve as the engine loosens up a bit.[*]I preferred the old C-Max speedo display - the new one is much more cluttered and harder to read, though the lighting is better.[*]Glove compartment door plastic is soft and easily scratched.

The Good:
<ul>[*]Very, very comfortable to drive.[*]Ride is much, much better than my old C-Max. Feels like a much more solid car.[*]Excellent visibility - much better than my old C-Max[*]Extra gadgets such as bluetooth, ambient lighting, etc, auto wipers, etc. are great.[*]Lots of space inside (though not as much leg-room as in my old C-Max had with the diagonally sliding rear seats).[*]Rear reclining seats are popular with my car sharing colleagues(!)[*]The rear parking sensor display is very, very useful. Much better than just relying on beeps.[*]Love the USB stick playback - no messing around with CDs any more.

Really my biggest concern is the performance. I would have expected the newer engines to be better than the old ones, but it looks like the drive for lower emissions and economy have handicapped otherwise good engines.

Edited by: Ravenger

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

6 months down the line and still very pleased. Fuel economy seems to have stabilised at around 40-44mpg (average) which equates to about 450-500 miles to a tank (according to the trip computer).

One of the door rear door handles has started to stick which mean the door won't open until you push the handle in a touch which is a bit annoying but easily sorted under warranty the next time it's in for something else.

Just found an issue using the USB port to the Sony audio system but going to start a new thread for that one, just in case anybody knows the solution.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Getting over 50mpg out of my 2.0 tdci 5 seat Max.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM

1.8 tdci average is 44mpg
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM

On a recent long motorway trip I averaged 57mpg (1.6TDCi Grand C-Max), but that was driving like a granny at mostly 60mph. Same journey in my old 1.8TDCi would give around 64mpg.

My 1 hour commute (mixed roads including 30 mins on the motorway) averages around 45mpg. MPG does seem to be improving as the car is more run-in.

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page