Thoroughly Unhappy Newbie - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone

Just a quick messageto say "hello".

I've owned my 2004 1.6 (110) TDCI LX C-Max for about 5 months now. 39000 miles on the clock when I bought it, about 44000 now. Until a few weeks ago (and unfortunately out of the 3 months' warranty I was given) I thought I had made a good purchase. A spacious, comfortable and very economical car with more than enough power for my generally leisurely driving style.

Then things started to go wrong. The alternator was the first thing to go which was expensive enough. However the "biggie" was yesterday on my way home from work. After about 5 minutes of leaving work the engine suddenly became noisy. No warning lights. Pulled over, checked under the bonnet for anything loose, checked the oil level, no sign of problems. Carried on home very cautiously with the intention of calling in at my local garage on the way. Didn't make it that far. On approach to an extremely busy motorway junction (Simister Island on the M60 for those in and around Manchester) the red exclamation warning came on the dashboard. Just deciding where would be least dangerous to pull over when there was a sudden jolt, the engine died and all the warning lights came on. Managed to coast to the hard shoulder, didn't even try to start up again and called the AA (full marks to them by the way).

The AA patrol said that the timing belt had gone and the puddle of liquid on the ground didn't fill me with hope either. This afternoon the garage told me that they were pricing up a new cylinder head <gulp>.

Has anyone hada similar experience? Don't think it was due a timing belt change on either age or mileage? I'd really appreciate knowing what others have paid for this kind of thing. I know it is going to be very expensive. At the risk of cross-posting is there a better area I could post this in?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Tim.

Sorry that wasn't such a quick message in the end .

Tim.

2004 (54) 1.6 (110) TDCI LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club.

Davy

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 AM

Hello Tim,
Welcome to the club - and I don't mean welcome to a club of owners whose engines have seized after 44,000 miles[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img], especially diesels. 244,000 miles maybe, but this sounds beyond the pale. My last SAAB 900 petrol managed 250,000 miles without problems before it died on me, so this is definitely not impressive. I can't comment on the timing belt as the cause of this catastrophe, but to have a chain one fail after such a low mileage seems very odd. 100,000 miles, well maybe. Was the car serviced before you bought it? Keep us informed of the diagnosis.

2004 1.6 petrol LX

post #4 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 AM

Hi, welcome to the club!
Sorry to hear of your problem!
Sounds like a failure of a water pump, maybe contact garage you bought it from and ask if they'd contribute as it's only just out of warranty!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the friendly welcome and advice already.

romseyraver: there must be something about SAABs, reminded me of this story from a few years ago.My C-Max's "professional" service history was a bit patchy for the last owner but they had kept on top of the oil and filters and with it being low mileage (and in good condition to match) I wasn't too concerned. I took it to Nationwide Autocentres soon after I bought it for one of their major services and so I was fairly confident that everything was in order.

kevmond: I have absolutley zero faith in the dealer I bought it from. On the day I collected the car they tried to stitch me up with the double whammy of having overvalued my trade-in and having given me the "Internet price" when they shouldn't have. I asked them to give me my deposit back and call the deal off (which looking back would have saved me a lot of hassle and money) at which point they stopped trying to get more money out of me. I have no intention of ever going back there.

I'm gutted and the "worse case scenario" in my head just keeps getting worse. I'll keep you posted as and when I have more information.

Tim.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 AM

Yup, those old 900s were very reliable and went on and on and ... But just can't get good cheap onesany more. Moreover, at 20 MPG, and a big tax liability they're untenable in these environmental times, even if one does a small mileage. Moreover, my CMax is so comfortable and easy to drive in comparison. If only I had confidence that it would last for 250K [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img].
Edited by: romseyraver

2004 1.6 petrol LX
post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 AM

Hi Tim,welcome to the C-Max club,
sorry to hear of your problems.Are they sure the engine is siezed,does it need a new head or the old one skimming & refitting.
I ask about the reskimming as my daughter`s Clio broke it`s timing belt (again just out of warranty) so I had it recovered to a local garage I use.They reskimmed the head & put in new valves and did a first class job all for 450 inc recovery.My daughter had phoned 2/3 garages before I got involved & she had been quoted upwards of 1000 by each one she contacted.

As for Nationwide,my daughter took her Clio there for it`s mot (it failed) & they wanted 800 to do the job.Again it was taken to my garage & they did it for 400.

Hope you get it sorted asap.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #8 of 11 Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Fingers X'd the head is salvagable with a few or all valves!!
If it has FSH maybe contact ford and complain, hopefully they'll contribute.
Whereabouts are you located?

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Haven't fallen off the face of the earth since my last post, I'm just still none the wiser as to how much this little episode is going to cost. Disappointing as in a few hours time the garage will have had the car for a week. Have been feeling increasingly fobbed off on the phone and decided to call in "while I was passing" this morning. At least I saw my car with the bonnet up and a lot more space in the engine bay so it looks like they are doing something. Apparently there is "quite a lot of damage" and they are still "pricing things up". They must do a lot of pricing up at this place as this is supposedly what they were doing last Friday when I phoned. Starting to feel more and more wary of the place despite it being recommended to me. It seems I'll have my "are you sitting down?" moment some time today and so I'll report back then.
PS: kevmond - I'm in Bolton, North Manchester or South Lancashire depending on your viewpoint . MetalMicky - thanks for the info, when I was in Rochdale I was on good terms with a local garage and might get it moved to them if the quote seems extortionate.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Right, here goes. After intensive counselling and industrial tranquilisers I've got over the shock enough to attempt a post .

The cause of the mess (full marks to kevmond) was a seized water pump. Here's the list of items from the repair estimate. The garage have priced for replacement of all valves as an even-worse-case scenario although they said this would be very unlikely.

Environmental disposal: 3.50
Exhaust valves: 126.40 max
Inlet valves: 97.84 max
Head set: 150.00
Bolts: 45.00
Stat: 38.00
Timing belt kit: 106.50
Oil filter: 7.50
Oil: 25.47
Timing belt cover: 44.27
Coolant: 16.80
Water pump: 45.00
Crank gear (sensor?): 40.17
Injector studs: 3.04
Reface: 35.00
Timing belt bracket (think it says bracket): 12.00
Labour to date (stripping down and inspection): 2 hours @ 42/hour
Labour for head work: 2 hours @ 42/hour
Labour to rebuild: 6 hours @ 42/hour

Includingthe dreaded VAT comes to 1466.39.

Please don't laugh too loud if this is ridiculous, I'm not sure my current Ford-induced mental state could cope with it.

Fingers crossed that most of the valves survived to at least lessen the pain a little.

Have had to borrow money for this and so the next big decision is which car to sell to fund the repairs and also avoid one of the two insurance renewals due this time of year. Dowe keep the fuel-efficient 2004 C-Max with a largely rebuilt engine but in which I now have no faith or keep my wife's 2002 family-owned from new, FSH, garaged for the first 6 years 1.8 petrol Astra which just about returns 40 MPG if you're really careful? The car-related strife never seems to end .

Ramblings end for now, thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page