Should I buy a C-Max? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I am hopefully about to buy a Focus C-Max. Its the 1.6 petrol, 55 plate, 11k miles and full service history.

I wondered if people in the know could give me some advice as to anything I should check or be wary of? I've read that there have been some recalls and that I need to check the work has been carried out, but I'm not sure what work that should be. Are there any common faults that I need to check?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Edited by: tom_west
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM

my advise going on my 1.8 petrol c max would be dont buy it. I based on my experience with my c max will never buy one again it is that simple. It has and continues to be the most unreliable car i have ever owned. peoplo on here will tell you how great the car is but for me the car is a nightmare and i cant wait toget rid of the thing.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

I have had the following problems.
Air con broke 3 times is now broke again , I have had new punp , new condensor, new pipes and now the air con clutch has gone.mpg gallon no were near the officalfigures given , squeeks , rattles , wont start at times , radio loses time , trim falling off , i can have a full tank of petrol and the fuel light still stays on , sometimes the car wont accelarate very dangerous infact i had a crash beacause of it. I have had endless software updates , wiring needing to bereplaced , keys reprogramming as they just stopped working . head light buld failed you have to take the whole headlight out ,new module due to an engine fault occuring. I can go on and on with this car infact i now have a folder full of receipts the car is a peice of junk in my opinion .

post #4 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post, it's very interesting reading...

My current car is a Fiat Stilo, so I'm was hoping to get a car that was reliable and wouldn't have a dozen plus problems with it (I won't go into detail as it'll take all day!).

Looking through the forum, it looks as though there are pretty mixed opinions...

I'm concerned about poor MPG and the reliability issues. I had assumed, as it had been built on the fairly reliable focus under pinnings that it would be too?

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd like to hear it...

post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 PM

In about 15K miles in our 54 1.6TDCi we seem not yet to have had any problems but of course they'll start tomorrow

The 1.6 Petrol is perhaps very on the limit for this sized body and a lot of people don't get the quoted economy from the 2.0L TDCI (IN ANY FORD MODEL)

Ours is due an oil change when the weather gets just a little less inclement but I've done the air cleaner which was a little black in parts

It appears to give 45 MPG plus just about whatever we do and 3 of the original 4 dunlop / Goodyear NCT tyres are still well above the legal

It has had the fuel sender changed as it was reading low and the cable to operate the boot lock via the key doesn't at present

Other than that the only option I think is now a must is the heated screen which is available for all but doesn't come as std for an LX

One BIG NO NO don't really consider having the EPB option

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM

I have a Titanium 1.8 petrol/flexifuel model bought new 08 plate, owned since April. Ford got the build spec a little wrong but that's now ok. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I've had no issues with reliability so far but it's only done 5.5k miles. I am hoping it will be as reliable as my previous car (focus) which only needed the passenger lock motor replacing under warranty. I had the focus for 7 years again from new.

Overall I am very happy with the car, it's a pleasure to drive and I look forward to driving it.

On the downside:the fuel consumption is poor on short trips but acceptable on a straight run. Auto wipers are rarely at the correct speed, auto lights not very auto and there's a very small amount of condensation in the rear lights.

Best bits: Panoramic roof (kids love it), front & rear parking sensors, cruise control, high seating position, comfy seats, gear stick position, auto mirror, sony 6 disc stereo & 8 speakers, ambient lighting, smart 17" wheels, heated screen & mirrors, bluetooth and voice control.

Some of the features above may be a factory option or on Titanium trim only. Don't jump in too quick, check it has the spec you want, if not there will be plenty of others to choose from.

I don't know if the newer models are more or less reliable than older models but I rate this car very highly.

Ste
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM

I entirely agree with Ste's opinion, got my 2008 Cmaxin August................. just a poverty model 1600 petrol , but .......... A LOVE THING, so comfortable and practical. Sspose its like everything , any cars going to be only as reliable as the way it has been looked after n treat in its lifetime.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM

hmm mixed here as well if you asked me last week before the alternator went i would have said great car, handling and performance good. However i am now a little worried about the reliability mines a 2.0 tdci i gave it a service at the end of summer including all filters. But the alternator was a right bugger to do and i question what other jobs i would be able to do. One thing to consider, forums such as this are a magnet for people with problems with there cars to try and get help and as such it might be a slightly biased area.Good luck
Edited by: lazyb
post #9 of 18 Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 AM

I have just picked my c-max up 55 plate with 5000 miles on it let you know how i get on.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I have taken the plunge, so will let you know how i get on...

got a 2 year extended warranty just to cover my back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page