Possible new Grand C-Max owner here - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Possible new Grand C-Max owner here

Hi all,
After a lot of looking and discussion with SWMBO, it does seem to be that I will be ordering a Grand C-Max in the next couple of weeks.

I will be totally honest and say, that if I could have afforeded the S-Max Titanium auto, that would have been my first choice.

I have looked at a lot of auto cars, from the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, (horrible semi auto gearbox!0 the Peugeot 5008, (same terrible gearbox) the Nisssan Qashqai +2, Vauxhall Insignia Tourer and even BMW's X1 (very heavy sterring at slow speeds and even cruise control was an option).

If the QQ+2 had better fuel consumption (their own figures are only 36 MPG!) that was a nice car, and I did like the Insignia SE with sat nav. but the wife is not impressed with its suspension.

Well yesterday we went into a Ford dealer (not the local one, they are worse than useless, if they have hit their targets they have no interest)
and first of all sat in the Focus estate. Not good for me, i felt enclosed and trapped, the dealer said "what about the C-Max?" I had not thought about it really, as its not the prettiest girl in the bunch :-)
The fact it was on the same floorpan as the Focus made me reluctant, but when I sat in it, I was most impressed, it felt light and airy.
We the looked at the grand and it was nice. Not that much bigger, but a bit more in the boot for the dog :-) My 10 year old loved the sliding doors.
The deposit I have to put down is around 2300, whereas the S-Max was 2,900 and I really can't justify the additional cost for a bigger car I think. (Though my heat is saying S-Max!) but with many others, money is tight at the moment.

The Insignia is very well specced, with the auto tailgate and sat nav (but you have to pay extra for bluetooth and fog lights!) but the lead time is three months as they are built to order. the Grand C-max is vehicles available next month.

Ilike the Ford Autobox and the seats are comfy. The wife likes the funky blue dials (easily pleased lol). the only couple of things that I find starange is that even Titanium does not have sat nav as standard (Vauxhall, Skoda, Nissan etc have sat nav as standard on their top line models, but Ford want between 750 to 1,300 for theirs! Garmin looks on the cards for me :-) ) plus the power tailgate is an added cost option.

one thing that did look badly designed is that when teh cnter seat in row tow is hidden to give the "gangway" there is a hard metal catch protruding from the Offside seat which could be painfull if caught when using teh gangway.

I think I have decided on the coulour, my first choice would be Panther Black, ( I know, a devil to keep clean) followed by Midnight Sky then Ink Blue.
I did threaten to order it in Mars red, but SWMBO said she is not driving round in a Jaffa Orange! :-0

So, my choice seems to be a standard Titanium Grand C-Max 140 BHP Auto in one of those colours.
I did think about adding the active parking, but not sure I would get the use out of it or would it just be a toy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM

First of all,welcome to the club,
Sounds like you have put a great deal of thought into your choice (no bad thing).
If you go to the motoring section of The Telegraph website,they have just posted a road test of the GC-max.
Hope you don`t have to wait longer than specified & let us know your thoughts & how you are getting on once you get it.

MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #3 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Metal Mickey :-)

post #4 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I still keep asking myself however, is the 7 seater the better of the two or not? the 5 seater costs less and the space is not that much different (755 ltrs to 666 with five seats)

whats everybodys thoughts?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
No idea about which you should choose as I have a Mk 2 with which I'm overall very happy. What I would say, regarding the sat-nav is don't bother. Buy a Brodit active holder for your smartphone, which if it's decent will have GPS in it. My old obsolete Nokia 5230 does a better job than the 1000 built in sat-nav in a mates Kuga (The same one doubtless) with which I'm not impressed, and all the maps and updates are FREE! Forever! You can buy a lot of beer for 1000! LOL!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM

If you don't need the extra seats and your 10yo will forgive you for not having sliding doors then there doesn't seem much point in going for the Grand, IMO!

Regarding the park assist I can assure that my 5 seater is very easy to reverse park. The City Pack, which is no longer available, added rear sensors and power fold mirrors to my car but even without the listening to the sensors it's easy to tell where the rear is. IIRC, rear sensors are standard on the Grand.

2012 C-Max 1.6 TDCi Titanium in Frozen White with City Pack.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM

Warkman

Good analysis. I have the Grand C-Max and love it, but if you don't think you're going to have more than 5 people in it I'd go for the C-Max.

Sat nav is rubbish but you do get the rear camera with it which is quite handy, but overall probably not worth the money. I got the automatic parking thrown in for free and have used it about 5 times to have a laugh with friends and never when I'm on my own in the car - it's a gimmick. I do like the automatic opening tailgate though.

Be careful with the fuel economy - the GCM numbers are all well down on the claimed numbers, but then I think that's the case with most new cars. My 2.0 manual diesel should do 53 and is actually doing about 45 with 4,000 miles on the clock, hopefully will improve a bit more as it loosens up.

I also have panther black, looks good I think, does get very dirty.

Finally forget about the S-Max - I drove both and the Grand C Max is better to drive, better fuel economy and more manoeuverable in my view. Unless you regularly carry more than 5 people I wouldn't go for the S-Max.

Good luck

Grand C-Max 2.0 TDCi Titanium. X pack, convenience pack, satnav, appearance pack, collected 1st November 2011
post #8 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Jumborat, How is your Cmax? I am thinking of buying a used one same spec as yours with active park assist.(It is a year old with under 5000 miles on the clock). I have been looking at various reviews and have been a bit frightened off by the thought of blown turbo and Dual mass flywheel problems and various electrical problems, am I reading to much into the problems or what? look forward to your reply. If any one else would like to add anything please feel free. Cheers.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I would be interested too, is it just the normal whinges of any car forum, in the fact that many more with problems post as they are looking for answers, or is the Grand C-Max/C-Max worse than other cars?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM

I absolutely love the car. It was perfect for my needs and is living up to what I expected.

It's only just over 3 months old so early days yet but the only complaint I've really had was the first gear flatspot problem that losts of people have had but I'm convinced it's deliberate by Ford to stop you over revving the engine while it's still new. It had completely cleared by 2000 miles.

It's comfy, quiet and good to drive. You wouldn't want any less power than the 115bhp but now the engines loosened up it performs adequetly. I get around 45mpg around town with a slightly heavy right foot and can get into the 60's on the motorway.

If a small MPV is what you're after I can highly recommend the C-Max/Grand. It's worth pointing out, however, that this is my first MPV so other members who've owned other MPV's could maybe give better info on comparisons, etc.

2012 C-Max 1.6 TDCi Titanium in Frozen White with City Pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page