Newbie about to buy... - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have been looking to replace my current car - a 1.6 petrol Seat Altea, which initially I bought for its size, but really isn't as practical as I thought [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]. And the MPG - woah, lucky if I get 28 around town, with around 36 on a run.
So, I have had my head turned by the C Max. I've found a nice looking example at my local Ford Dealership, 08 plate 2.0l TDCI Titanium, 17,000 on the clock asking 12 grand for it.
As it stands its in budget, with a favourable insurance quote too, but can anyone please give me some pointers to look for when I test drive and give it the once over? Advice on the MPG you're all getting would be great too!
Many thanks in advance, Kev

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Price sounds about right. What sort have spec has it got.
My car is a Dec 07 on a 57 and I paid a little less than for it with 23000 miles back in May. My car is however mega spec - the only extras it hasn't got are sat nav and climate control.
There are penty of these cars around and a lot of them are ex motability or Ford Direct cars.
I think with a car this age still under warranty it is just important to check the usual things - the clutch is okay ( these can fail early if not treated properly and due to the dual mass flywheel I understand a replacement is not cheap), the gearbox is nice and slick. I would personally avoid a car if it has a towbar as postson this site refer to clutches slipping when towing caravans.Most importantly check carefully for signs of accident repairs.
There are plenty about so make sure you fid a good one.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM

If it was me i`d be looking at the engine . An 08 should be spottless and shouldn`t have the older car smell of diesel or signs of leaks at all . oil, p steer fluid etc.
When you drive it it should have plenty of pull at slow speeds in higher gears almost as if your trying to make it struggle .
Air con should have no smells and should pull to temp straight away .
Brakes should feel assuring rather than hard work to slow car .
Check lights for moisture and cracks.
WEAR on clutch pedal is common on lower mile cars that have been taking granny to town and back since new and i would never buy a car that has excessive pedal wear coz you just know that granny can`t rev smoothly or change gears withoutbrushin the gears teeth .
Scratches around the boot inner entrance are signs of pets or scraping wheelchairs in / out . Door inners scratch up nicely aswell .
NEVER EVER TREVER buy a car that has had a tow bar fittedunless your the one doin it or its a RANGE ROVER .
FULL SERVICE HISTORY with repair work that is minimal but only coz it has not needed fixin` .
Also look at the filters if you can . Just to make sure that your garage is servicing it if they tell you they are the oil filter should be clean and the oil in the engine should be clear .

I don`t know how to fix em but i`ve never had problems with a car i`ve bought apart from the usuals , tyres , pads .

12,000 Is a big pile o squirrels if you buy a duffer

ALL THE BEST MATEY
SEAN

07 1.8L PETROL TITANIUM 125 ps stg4 X sport pack PANTHER BLACK Sony 6 cd changer etc etc 32.8mpg

post #4 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 PM

check all the electrics /alternator & battery with all the heavy current users switched on. Try to see if you can get the inside of the screen steamed to check the heated elements (left & right hand vertical split)

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 AM

As Richard says but also make sure ALL lights are on inc front/rear fogs,get as much load through as you can while it`s standing still on tickover (don`t sit in & rev it).If the battery light (or any light comes on) make them fix it first before you buy (even ask for money off too after job done) & what ever you do don`t let them fob you off.If the alt goes it`s about 200/250 & I bet they would say it`s not covered under any warranty.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Guys - Invaluable.
I have a test drive booked this evening, so I'll let you all know how I get on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page