New Member EPB? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone

Just got a C-Max 2.0 Tdci Ghia 60000 miles 2004, seems a good powerful engine around the same as the 2.2 Tdci Renault Laguna I traded in. Can anyone give me advise on how to operate the EPB on a hill start, it seems to go on and off ok when parked up ok and I can put it on and off 10 times without problems but several times its just not gone off when stopped at trafic lights making me look a right dummy. It may be me not being used to it but I am loosing faith in it.

Regards Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Hi and welcome.

I have the same model, to be honest I've not found the EPB too much of an issue, although I do seem to need the clutch dipped slightly more than usual. For the most part though I use it as I would a normal handbrake.

I have got quicker at finding the biting point though as a result of having the EPB! I think it comes down to practice with this thing half the time.

2.0 TDCI Ghia. 2004
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM

shaz, you have to press either the brake pedal or the clutch pedal for the EPB to be released.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far, I was stopped at the lights with the engine running and cluthch fully down as I released the clutch it started to bight the saw the front of the car lift slightly tried to release EPB nothing rleased, had to try several times in the end it released. Should I have released it while the clutch was fully down, is there a switch that can tell that the clutch is fully down if so its a matter of timing that I will have to get used to.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 02:29 PM

hi, yep theres a switch on the clutch. The method i use for hill starts is this:
dip the clutch and stand on the footbrake.
disengage epb
kepping your right foot on the brake lift clutch pedal until biting point is felt
lift foot off brake and onto accelerator
pull away.
This works for me the tdci seems to be able to hold ther car on hills on tickover while i get my foot from brake to accel. I havent checked wether the switch on the clutch can be adjusted if it can we could adjust it further up the clutch pedal travel so it will disengage around the biting point.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that idea lazyb I will give it a go, it sounds like it would work. I have found that my clutch needs to be fully down and on a steep hill I do roll back a bit. It would be nice as you say to have the switch operate around half travel. Maybe someone in the trade knows if this is possible.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM

I have my left [sorry meant right[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]] foot on the accelerator, not the brake, with the clutch fully depressed. I release the EPB and then quickly bring up the clutch pedal to the biting point. The EPB takes a second or two to disengage allowing time for this. This means that there is no changing of the feet to different pedals.

Having said that I would be interested also in whether the button on the clutch can be adjusted as mine releases the EPB quite high up the clutch, but I cant rely on it to release at the biting point every time.

Regards

Tim

Edited by: erasuretim
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tim, presume you mean your right foot on accelerator, Im doing the same as you at the moment but still roll back a bit on steep hills. I may get better as I have only just got the car and having used a handbrake for 47 years its hard to understand why on earth they fitted the thing in the first place.

Regards Ed

post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 AM

I knew there was a reason i moved to the fens .....no hills
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Well all will be ok for the next week, I will have my left foot on the bar rail, my right elbow on the bar top and the c-max tucked up in East midlands airport parking. My only worry with bighting point will be how large to have the pepper steak. See you all in a week lol

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page