Looking for C-Max - Petrol or Diesel - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

Looking to get my 1st C-Max. After an 09 or 59 plate Titanium. I'm stuck between Petrol or Diesel.

If I went for Petrol it would be a 1.8 or if it was Diesel it would be the 1.6tdci or maybe 2.0tdci (Not keen on the older 1.8tdci Diesel)

I mainly do short trips, less than 20 miles a day. Will do the odd few longer onesevery couple ofmonths (60 miles +)and a few longer ones throughout the year.

I'm leaning towards the 1.8 Petrol at the minute as the petrol models are cheaper and from what i've "read" diesels seem to have a few more issues? I know road tax can be cheaper in diesels and mpg will be better but how is the 1.8 Petrol engine regarded? Is it thought of as a generally good engine?

Also I need to buy futher a field as I'm very limited to what my local dealer can get. If I get one under a year old will the balance of the remaining 3 year warranty be guaranteed at any official Ford dealership?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 AM

Hi Jonny

I bought a 14 month old 1.8 petrol Titanium in February. I went for petrol as I also do mainly short journeys and the diesels with particulate filters can become clogged very easily. Also the petrol was over 1000 cheaper than the diesel equivalent - and given i do less than 8000 miles a year, the higher fuel consumption of the petrol is less of an issue. The balance of the Ford warrenty is valid at any Ford dealer.

The 1.8 petrol engine has been around a while so I think it's quite reliable. It isn't very efficient though, expect 20-25mpg round town, 35mpg on a long run. The diesels are quite good, the 2ltr had plenty of torque and power. You can expect 10mpg more out of the diesels, if not more.

If you get a 1.8 petrol with a 5 speed gearbox, you might find ( as I do) that you'd like a 6th gear like in some of the diesels (I don't know if you can get a 6 speed on a petrol??)

I've got the sportpack 3 with lowered suspension and 18" wheels and it handles really well, but can be crashy on bad roads. I might look to swap to 17" wheels soon.

cheers

Matt

2008 1.8FF Titanium, Nav Pack, Sport Pack 3, Panther Black
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Matt, some useful info there.

The Petrol ones which I was looking at have now gone*[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Local Ford dealer has just got a Mint 1.8TDCi so no particle filter to get clogged up. *Titainum spec with front and rear parking sensors, 59 plate with 1100 miles.

Only thing stopping me buying it is the colour as it's Avalon. *I just can't decide if I like it*[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] Wife isn't keen and i'm not sure, i don't hate it but i don't love it. *Everything else is perfect though

post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM

What sort of money are they asking? I think the 1.8tdci is an evolution of a 20 odd year old engine, can't say if that's good or bad - there may be some info on this forum somewhere.
Is it an ex-demo vehicle? That's very low mileage for a change other wise - might be worth checking the build date to make sure it's not a pre-registered that's been sat for several months.
I paid 10995 for mine which had a retail of 23k 14 months before - it's got built in sat nav, front/rear sensors, sport pack 3 , comms pack/bluetooth etc, panther black part leather. Good value but shows the depreciation from new.
Not sure about the Avalon colour, i prefer the dark colours with nice wheels. There's loads about especially as the new model has been revealed so you can be choosy!

post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 AM

i too prefer the darker colours, my 1.8Tdci Style is in Ocean blue. however I must admit I do fancy a vision blue...............

Chris
2006 1.8tdci style
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbourne
What sort of money are they asking? I think the 1.8tdci is an evolution of a 20 odd year old engine, can't say if that's good or bad - there may be some info on this forum somewhere.
Is it an ex-demo vehicle? That's very low mileage for a change other wise - might be worth checking the build date to make sure it's not a pre-registered that's been sat for several months.
I paid 10995 for mine which had a retail of 23k 14 months before - it's got built in sat nav, front/rear sensors, sport pack 3 , comms pack/bluetooth etc, panther black part leather. Good value but shows the depreciation from new.
Not sure about the Avalon colour, i prefer the dark colours with nice wheels. There's loads about especially as the new model has been revealed so you can be choosy!

14.5k which is quite a bit cheaper than places like Jennings, Polar Ford, Evans Halshaw etc. *

It's a Jersey car hence the low mileage. *4 months old. *My current Focus is from Jersey. *They only keep them on the Island for less then 6 months and under 3k miles before they sell them off to dealers in the UK. Main firm that import Fords from Jersey are ci-cars.

I've been looking and I haven't really seen that many to be honest (Titainum spec, 2009)

Got Jeans blue on my focus at the minute which is nice but it does show up every little mark like dark colours do.

1.8tdci is the older 8v engine, not quite as good as the 1.6tdci or 2.0tdci 16v

Cheers
Edited by: jonnypb
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 AM

That's still seems quite a premium price, do you need such a low mileage?

If you went to 12-18 months old and 10-15k miles you'll save 1000's in depreciation

post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbourne
That's still seems quite a premium price, do you need such a low mileage?

If you went to 12-18 months old and 10-15k miles you'll save 1000's in depreciation

Not really, I've always bought nearly new for the last couple of cars. *I'll see what's around upto the 18 month mark

Cheers
post #9 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM

I have a 1.8 petrol Titanium on an 08 plate running on 17" alloys

Iam averaging 32mpg according to the onboard computer, mainly short distances to the golf club and the occasional trip to London. I looked at the diesel version but could not warrant the extra outlay allied to my annual mileage of 5,000 to 8,000. I get around 375 miles to the tankfull

This 1.8 engine is very smooth and quiet running and I believe is chain driven so no worries regarding timing belts.

Hope this helps with your descision.

Ford C Max 2008 1.8ltr Titanium
with 17\" alloys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page