Hello and newb questions - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi. I'm not actually a CMax owner yet but i'm in the process of buying one. So sorry for cheating a bit.

The model i'm getting is a 2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia (60 000 miles clocked). Which i'm picking up on Friday. CANT WAIT!

I'm a total fool when it comes to buying cars. I've only bought one car before and that was just a little 1.4 corsa. Which has served me well for the last 7 years! But its time to move on.

Anyway. The Cmax looks imaculate and drives like a dream (on the short test drive I had, I burnt rubber on the first junction as I pulled out...POWER!....The dealer wasnt too impressed...hehe. It made me giggle though...) so i'm not too worried. But, before I hand over the remainder of the cash I owe. My questions are:

I know nothing of Turbo's or Diesels. What things should I be checking so I dont get stung with a nasty repair bill for a broken Turbo flux capacitor or the engine falling out or something?

What things should I check on the interior? It has the roof DVD, SatNav, cruise control, reverse sensors, and a crazy electronic handbreak...Thats just witchcraft!

I'll be giving everything a good going over when I pick it up. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also. The dealer is only offering a 28 day warranty. I'm definitely thinking of buying the 6 (129) or the 12 (199) month option. Any advice on this would be great as well. Should I be considering other options?

Anyway. Thanks in advance and look forward to being part of the club

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 AM

The electric parking brake is a possible cause for concern. If it fails to change the module can be EXPENSIVE. I can't think of anything else that is an obvious check before it fails.

It's not a deLorian so there's not turbo flux capacitor

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM

I own a 53 plate 2004 2.0TDCI,I`ve had it 2 1/2 years now & it`s been brilliant.
Things to check are has it had a new altenator,this is one thing that can go without much warning,also,make sure the air con works & make sure it had a new pollen filter at the last service,if it`s due for a service make sure it`s changed.Does the dealer know any history about the car,ie,has it done short runs or had plenty of medium/long runs.Reason I say this is if it`s only done short trips,the EGR valve could be clogged.
I don`t have all the toys you are getting,just make sure everything works & thatthe warranty will cover ANYTHING & EVERYTHING inside & out & under bonnet too.
Check the tyres too (should have 4) also is the spare full size & in good condition.
Hope all is ok & looking forward to hearing your thoughts after a week or so.
Other than that,welcome to the club.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec

post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Welcome to the club!

I think MetalMickey has covered most of the basics. Tyre wear can be heavy on Cmax's so check there's plenty of life left. The electronic handbrake can wear rear break discs and pads at twice the normal rate - I was advised against buying one with it by a Ford dealer !

Unless the car is really cheap I would expect at least a 3 month warranty, you are also covered by the sale of goods act for faults that were present when the car was sold but I'm no expert on this matter! If in doubt (and if the car has been bought cheap) go for an extended warrenty. Just check wat isn't covered - and compare with online warrenty companies like Warrenty Direct.

What sort of mileage are you going to do? As previosly mentioned, short trips are the fastest way to kill a diesel so you could be better served by a petrol engine which will be cheaper to buy (ofsetting the lower mpg for low mileage users)

cheers
Matt
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys

@ Richard G: Yeah I thought that might be an expensive piece of kit. I'll just have to hope all is good. Thx

@Metal Mickey: Great advice man. Cheers. Will check those things over. And ask a bit of its history.

@Matt Bourne: I'd prefer a manual handbrake but this is my only option with this dealer. So i'll have to go with it. The Car isnt massively cheap (5.5k), about average I think. So I might have to ask about more warranty. As for mileage I'm going to be doing very short commutes to work weekdays (which I know is bad but cant be avoided), but I will be doing longer journeys at weekends, etc.

Which brings me to my next question:

I've been asking around at work about looking after turbo's etc. A friend of mine says that it's wise to let the engine tick over for 30 seconds at the start and end of every journey.

Does anyone have any other advice on maintianing the general health of the car? As in how best to drive it.

I'm used to a small petrol car so my driveing habbits might need to change.

Maybe theres a thread in the forums somewhere.

Thanks again

CMAX 2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Welcome!

Look for the service history and make sure you get two keys.
Prod and poke every button and if you've got them, test the electric wing mirrors, one side at a time.
If you have alloy wheels, do you have the special key to unlock the special bolts?
Check the tyres for even ware and also the spare.
While checking the spare, lift the carpet up and check for any signs of dampness.
As for the warranty, READ THE SMALL PRINT. Sorry for the caps but it's better to take away the leaflets and the T&C's and read them at home. If you like what you get then go back and buy it as you do not have to buy it there and then, no matter what the sales person says. You've got upto 14 days to decide and if you want it then buy it at the price agreed withe the dealer, but remember that there are other places you can buy warranties and they might be better.
Examples being, off the top of my head, Tesco, AA and Warranty direct are some I'm aware of.

Good luck!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger88
I'll be giving everything a good going over when I pick it up. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry just re read this bit.....

Do not accept the car until you have tried everything. If something is not right then let the dealer repair it before you sign the dotted line as it may be harder to rectify later.
I speak from experience and once bitten....
post #9 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Lawe: W_O_W!...Thanks man. This is exactly what im looking for. Simple things like asking for the alloy keys (if it needs one) is precisely the type of little thing i'd totally miss.

I'll be making a check list from all these brilliant helpful hints. So thanks again everyone!

and No. I haven't signed anything yet. So I'm not commited......yet. Although I have paid a "refundable" deposit.

As for the warranty. I'll look into getting prices and such from independents etc. See whats on offer. And i'll be asking what the trader can offer me as well.

On another note. And I totally forgot about this and its probably a major issue.

The car has a fitting for a tow hitch. But the actual hitch has been removed. This would indicate that the car has been used for pulling a trailer or caravan. Which has to be a bad thing. Right..

Should I be checking the rear suspension or anything else related?

The hitch might actually come in handy though at some point and I'm not too fussed about it spoiling the look of the car. Also if anyone rear end me it'll help protect the car

Also. I found the car on the traders website. Here she is:

and heres the traders advert bumph:

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 69,000 miles, Metallic Black. Rear
wiper, Air conditioning, Heated door mirrors, Lumbar support, Height
adjustable drivers seat, Solid Paint, Folding rear seats, Radio/CD,
Rear headrests, Steering wheel reach adjustment, 3x3 point rear seat
belts, Cruise control, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Front electric
windows, Alloy wheels, Immobiliser, Side airbags, Electric door
mirrors, Audio remote control, Electrically adjustable drivers seat,
Rear electric windows, ABS, Cloth seat trim, Front fog lights, Full
size spare wheel, Passenger airbag, Remote central locking, Drivers
airbag, Trip computer, Central locking, Alarm, Body coloured bumpers,
Front armrest, PAS. Insurance Group:10, fantastic car comes with full
leather interior, sat nav, dvd, the highest spec we have seen, service
record, finance arranged, px welcome, 5,498

Im sure your all very aware of what a CMax looks like. But I thought i'd post it anyway.

Edited by: Stinger88

CMAX 2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia
post #10 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Looks a tidy motor.
As regards the hitch take another test drive & do several hill starts,if the clutch starts to slip then it may need replacing & you`ll get some practice with the EPB.Good luck.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page