Hello I'm new here! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
TGL

Hi,

I've had my C-Max Zetec 1.9 Ltr Petrolfrom new (2004 - 53 plate). Almost 60K on the clock. Rock solid and generally reliable driving from day one. A couple of teething problems at the start, but generally very happy.

- Gear change sticky when I first got the car to the point where I couldn't change gear withouttrying several times.However, this soon eased off, andnow completely cleared.

- Drivers arm rest keeps breaking. Not a major issue, but just a niggle.

- Fuel economy: Average 43 miles per Litre (Just over 400 miles to a tank).

- Recently (after 50K miles) theelectronic bootbutton failed. I'm a DIY bod, so I just took it apart and replaced themicroswitchfor 2 pounds from Maplin. Basically it hadcorroded due to damp/moisture. I hearyou canget the fullboot button assemly partfrom Fords at acost closer to 35 pounds.

- In the last two weeks my factory fitted car alarm keeps going off at 2am and/or 4am in the morning. The main control board had water damage and Ford replaced that at a cost of 250 pounds. It seemed to resolve the problem until the heavy rain of late that seems to have caused the issue to return (subject to a question I will pose on the main forum).

These sound like significant problems, but apart from the rather annoying car alarm issue, I find the car in general very reliable and comfortable to drive. I've driven 600 miles in it several times without much fatique. Great for lugging stuff from B&Q in as well what with all the space.

TGL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2009, 01:07 AM

Greetings,nice to have you with us.
If my boot button goes,you`ll be the first person to get a cry for help & info .
Cheers
MM

post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 AM

hi TGL and welcome

58 PLATE 2.0 TDCI ZETEC,

post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Hi TGL and welcome

Yep sounds like Maplins comes to the rescue again.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Hi TGL
Could you let me know exactly which microswitch to buy from Maplins for the boot release? I had to mangle it a bit to get it out of the housing and I live in Rome and have no idea where I could get the switch on its own here. Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
TGL

Hello,

I hope you didn't mangle the switch casing too much.

**For the benefit of the others who read this post you need to use a sharp modelling knife/razor to cut the two wires to the microsswitch and to dig-out the moisture proofing wax/rubber gel that covers the switch soldering points and around the edges. You need to cut the wires to get the switch out of the casing, as the switch clips intoplace, which is possibly why Andy had to mangle his casing.**

Anyway, Andy, the microswitch you need from Maplins is this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34835The model number/code is: N96AQ / Min M-Sw with Lever.It's the one with the metal strip (but without the roller at the end of it). The microswitch is actually slightly thicker than the original Ford one, so you will need to usea bit of force to push the switch into the casing. However, you shouldn't break the switch casing in the process, as it's quite flexible.

Once in place you will also need to bend the tip of the microswitch metal lever upwards, otherwise it wont make contact to the mechanical switch housing. It's a trial and error process, but I found that bending it about 4mm upwards at the tip should do the trick. I suggest using your left thunb to hold the end of the strip that enters the switch itself and at the same time use a finger on your right hand to bend the tip upwards. If you do this you reduce the risk of breaking your shiny new microswitch.

Once you have soldered your wires back onto the new microswitch and tested it, then use mastic/bathroom sealant from a DIY shop to seal the exposed soldering points. This is important, becausemoisture is generally the reasonwhy the microswitches fail in the first place.

Finally, once you have the microswitch in place -and before you bolt the tailgate number plate lights strip back into place -I strongly recommend using some bathroom sealant over the almost certain damage to the existing seal caused when unbolting the number plate light strip to get to the microswitch. Again, if you don't do this, rain water will seap into the broken seal around the numberplate lights strip, and even worst water will drop onto the boot door alarm switch and key barrel. The result of this will be your car alarm will continuously go off, and the barrel will corrode. Both of these can't be fixed without going back to Ford.

With all that said, don't be put off by the above. It really is a relatively simple job, so long as you take care.

Regards,

tgl
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club.

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page