Happy Newbie! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
DNA

Hi all,
Firstly a great site with lots of good info!
OK, a week ago I purchased my 1st C-Max, a 2004 2.0 TDCi Ghia in Panther black with only 33000 miles from new, one owner and full Ford SH. So far very impressed, after having 2 Focus's as company cars, my 3rd that was delivered in March was the 1.6 TDCi Econetic [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]. As a regular caravanner with 3 kids the new company car was never going to cut it in the towing dept! So the C-Max was the obvious choice. Wifee had a strict spec list, it had to be Panther Black, had to be a Ghia and the budget was 5K. Well after weeks of looking we found "the one". A little over our budget (200) but was worth it for the low miles and condition. It has the factory rear tints, visibility pack and parking sensors which I think were all optional extra's? Service history is comprehensive with records of the well known recalls ie EPB and Wiper motor and the usual week errors have been replaced: starter motor,Alternatorand air con compressor. Hoping for many trouble free miles!!
Today I took delivery of the towbar I had ordered, a Bosaldetachable swan neck (proper job!) and I will be fitting it this Friday with the great help of the related towbar threads on this site ! Thanks[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]. Looking at 4-5hrs I think as I have the twin electrics to fit which can swallow up time!
Just fitted genuine ford mudflaps all round which were 46 delivered from eBay that in my opinion look good and protect the front of the caravan a little! Would like to upgrade the alloys for the 17" blade ones or ST but can't justify at the moment due to the previous owner fitting 4 new well named tyres to the car in April.Stereo upgrade is also on the agenda, either a 6006 or thinking of a nice JVC with USB and Bluetooth I have seen on eBay???? Decisions, decisions!!
Anyway, pleased to meet you all.... and will update you with the towbar fitting!
CheersDNA
2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia Panther Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Hi DNA welcome to the club,
sounds like you`ve got a nice car there.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Hi, welcome to the Club!
Towbar fitment is suprisingly simple.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
DNA

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Yes kevmond, fitting the bar does look a doddle, it's the twin electric wiring I am not looking forward to....Have fitted towbars many times but never bothered with the twin wiring before so that's going to be newterritory.
Cheers

2004 TDCI Ghia Panther Black
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club Forum.

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes kevmond, fitting the bar does look a doddle, it's the twin electric wiring I am not looking forward to....Have fitted towbars many times but never bothered with the twin wiring before so that's going to be newterritory.

Cheers
Are you planning to use a "Plug and play" type wiring, or tap in to the wiring yourself?
When do you plan on doing the Job? I'm pretty sure the wiring has been covered on here somewhere, if not, I'm sure someone will be able to assist.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Just had a tow bar with twin electrics fitted to mine took two guys less than 2 hours including chat and coffee cost 250. They did not run a permanent live from the front of the car and said there was one in the back, not sure this is correct.

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
DNA

Hi again kevmond, I played with the idea of plug n' play but funds kind of run out as I bought an expensive towbar so I will be "tapping in", and yes there are a few threads where wiring has been covered. I will be fitting a 7 way bypass relay, just to be safe although not really req'd as lighting is not on a canbus system.

Yes shaz, they are kind of right in what they say about a permanet live in the boot. They would of tapped into the rear 12v boot socket (far easier than running a permanent 12v direct from the batt) I have mixed views on this though, some forums, and I tend to agree, state that the thickness of the cable supplying said socket is not really man enough to power the fridge. It must be ok as I think that the dedicated "plug n' play" utilises this method, but after looking at the thickness of the cable and comparing it to the one supplied in the twin electric kit it is obvious that there is a difference. Aside from feeding the cable through the double skinned grommet in the bulk head (which I have read can be a bit of a challenge)it should be straight forward......hopefully! I am fitting tomorrow (fri), I have all day so will just "plod on" as they say!
Cheers

post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
DNA

This is my new motor

post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Just had a look at my caravan hand book and the refrigerator is 120 watt therefore 10 amps at 12 volts, rear power socket has a rating of maximum 10 amps so its touch and go if its up to it or not. I expect the voltage drop over such a long cable by the time it gets to the refrigerator is going to be a bigger problem.

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page