Greetings from Notts. - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Greetings from Notts.

Hello, everyone. May have to apologise, as I don't actually have a C-Max, but am doing some checking. We've been looking for several months for another car, and looked at a new one yesterday - very impressed indeed. However, I'd like some help deciding whether to go for the Titanium 1.6 Ecoboost petrol or the 1.6 Diesel? As I'm only expecting to do around 6 - 8,000 miles per year, the new petrol engine looks tempting, even though my first choice would have been the diesel.
I'd welcome your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Petrol every time. The modern petrol ecoboosts are fine engines with brilliant mpg. Plus it does not have a DPF unlike the diesel which will cause you problems along the way even in short term ownership. It's a no brainer especially doing 8k a year. Welcome to the site GeoW.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #3 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletree View Post
Plus it does not have a DPF unlike the diesel which will cause you problems along the way even in short term ownership. GeoW.
You really seem to have a problem with diesels using a DPF. I've had two and about to get my third. Have you ever had one?

Graham

2012 C-Max 1.6 TDCi Titanium in Midnight Sky with X Pack/18" wheels.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 PM

My last car(focus 1.6 tdci 2006) was perfect in every way. Loved it to bits till it went into limp mode. DPF was blocked and started causing problems left right and centre. Cost to replace was a fortune so I got rid. I've been bitter towards this disgrace of an invention ever since. They created it in the hope it would help cut emissions etc. What about all the volcanoes that erupt every year that spew more rubbish into the atmosphere then all the countries put together? It's all b*llocks.
Feel better now I've got that off my chest.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #5 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletree View Post
It's all b*llocks.
I rest my case

post #6 of 24 Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoW View Post
Hello, everyone. May have to apologise, as I don't actually have a C-Max, but am doing some checking. We've been looking for several months for another car, and looked at a new one yesterday - very impressed indeed. However, I'd like some help deciding whether to go for the Titanium 1.6 Ecoboost petrol or the 1.6 Diesel? As I'm only expecting to do around 6 - 8,000 miles per year, the new petrol engine looks tempting, even though my first choice would have been the diesel.
I'd welcome your comments.
Doing that small a mileage I'd say it's a no brainer going for petrol.

2012 C-Max 1.6 TDCi Titanium in Frozen White with City Pack.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. Bottletree, understand your concerns. Re DPFs, theft could occur, but, re blockages I was under the impression that some deposits could be burnt away by occasional long runs, with about 10 minutes at 70 mph in 5th (or one gear below top), thus extending it's life?
I have an '06 BMW 320 Touring, and really like the "lazier" driving characteristics of diesels, but the new EcoBoost seems to drive similarly to a diesel? As they have turbos, concerns over driving off at high speed when cold and not cooling down slowly after a long run, are not my driving style, so not a problem. The petrol version's considerably cheaper to buy, and would appear to be cheaper to run over my expected mileage. I really need to have a test drive.
Smoke02, do the 18" wheels change the driving at all? On a previous test drive of a BMW with larger wheels we found that the steering was affected by road irregularities?
At the moment, we're looking at a C-Max 1.6 EcoBoost Titanium with Convenience Pack, but undecided re colour (Midnight Sky/Lunar Sky/Dark Micastone/Panther Black)

Last edited by GeoW; 06-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Hi

I'll let you know about the 18" wheels on Sunday Just been told it will be ready to pick up on Saturday and I have to drive to Sheffield on Sunday so that should tell me what it's like.

As an aside my Mazda 3 has 18" wheels and they are fine.

Graham

post #9 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoW View Post
At the moment, we're looking at a C-Max 1.6 EcoBoost Titanium with Convenience Pack, but undecided re colour (Midnight Sky/Lunar Sky/Dark Micastone/Panther Black)
My opinion on colours

Midnight Sky looks ok when clean and in sunny conditions.
Lunar Sky suits the car and looks good but then I think "no, it's metallic brown"!!
Dark Micastone is not nice at all.
Panther Black is nice and is the colour I'd have if I had to have metallic paint.

Remember, fellow owners, it's only my opinion! I fully accept that Frozen White may not be someones choice.

2012 C-Max 1.6 TDCi Titanium in Frozen White with City Pack.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Black everytime for me too. It's the perfect colour especially when polished up and gleaming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page