gearbox malfunction - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi .
I hope i get this right as i'm new to the club.
[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
i bought a cmax about 6 months ago and it has been running great. i had a problem with black smoke coming out but thanks to this site i managed to clean the egr and solve the problem.
now. around 4 weeks ago my wife was driving the car when she said it felt like "something came off" and the car just rev up. a number of lights came up. the AA got my car home and a garage (which i just purchased another car from) came out and cleared most of the lights but could not clear the "gearbox malfunction".
After reading in great depth the comments in the forum i am a little worried as the car is not under warrenty.
The car has done 60k. i put it into P,R,N and it does not rev or move( there is some indication when in R that it has done something)
When i use the D it just rev's up but does not move. this is the same when i use the manual side. it just rev's up.
Is there anything i need to be looking at? what may be the cause of this problem.
I have been quoted 100 pound for someone just to look at it. I do not have that kind of money at the minute.
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance.

I have a \"54\" plate zetec tdci 1.6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm afraid this could well be an almost terminal failure of the CFT23 CVT autogearbox for which there does not appear to be an easy repair due to parts not being made available. It appears that the only option is a complete g/box change for a reconditioned one at around 4,000
Despite many case similar to yours Fraud have all but washe dtheir hand of offering any assistance

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Good Evening.
Thank you for information car is going. kind regards

I have a \"54\" plate zetec tdci 1.6.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
There's a marine engine builder known as SEMT. They are French and the letters stand for Societe d'Etudes de Machines Thermiques. They build engines known as the "Pielstick". I know this doesn't have a lot to do with your gearbox problem until I tell you the name that Marine Engineers who have the misfortune of working on the things have given the company. We call it Simple Engineering Made Tricky!
I'm afraid I have a similar opinion of such devices as CVT gearboxes and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole! If you have ever seen an "exploded" drawing of the original concept as penned by DAF for their "Variomatic" transmission I think you'd agree that Messrs heath and Robinson would have been proud of it! Funnily enough it was quite reliable and reasonably successful, probably because the engines it was mated to were not exactly powerful.
The concept was resurrected in the late '80s and '90s and developed as an alternative to the standard epicyclic type auto 'box which performs poorly with respect to fuel economy, mainly because they need to be mated to a torque converter. It was hoped that it would prove more economical. It appears to have fallen by the wayside now that alternative automated type transmissions such as VAGs DSG 'Box, PSAs EGS and Fords "Powershift" have been developed. Even they are not as reliable as they could be, although they appear to perform well and return good economy.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page